Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Falling down

Hello,

I am having issues with falling down stairs and going up the steps. I think I “see” the stairs but then I’m falling down and hurting myself.

Comments

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Hello Jannutt. One reference that I read suggested going up and down stairs SIDEWAYS. This means facing the rail and taking one step at a time. Try this.

Iris

• Janutt
    Janutt Member Posts: 130
    100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions First Anniversary 5 Care Reactions

Hello Iris,

thank you for the suggestion I will have to try this out. I will have to find another way for the other steps we have for our basement since this spot has no railings going out to the backyard. I usually use them to take out our dogs. Is this a common issue? I have an eye doctor appointment coming this week so I will bring this up.

• Iris L.

Janutt, people with Alzheimer's Disease have poor vision which is not related to the eye, but to how the brain interprets visual images.

Also there is a problem with depth perception, which you need for going up and down stairs.

At the same time, eye diseases do become more prevalent in older years. It is wise to check everything out.

Also make sure there is good lighting next to the stairs.

And you may have to give up wearing flip-flops, which are not supportive footwear.

Iris

• Janutt

Hi Iris,

Well that makes sense to me. Thanks. When I got to almost the end of the steps, to me it looked like they have dissapeared, but of course this was not true. This time the fall was harder. These falls are happening more frequently or so a month apart. The first fall was last month.I did go to the eye doctors this past week and had mentioned about my falls. He said Alzheimer's had nothing to do with this. Yes, eye diseases hit me early before the Alzheimer’s. So, I have to be checked often for this too. last year I had tunnel vision, but the other day I was completely normal. The eye doctor thought it was a miracle. Today I had to give back a "flip flop" type of fuzzy slippers that my daughter gave and buy another form fitting type after reading this. This does make sense since I have large dogs who seem to like to either step on my slipper of "cut me off" when i'm walking. I will be donating my flip flops to my daughters. It's also hard for me to know that I may not be able to run again. I really did love running. I have tried to get back into it ,but i'm either wobbly or that my heart makes me feel exhausted. Yes, lighting, I do have plenty of night lights around the house which helps a lot.

Janutt

• Iris L.

I'm sorry you are falling. It's good that you are taking steps to avoid falls, because falls can lead to many complications. Your eye doctor is wrong, Alzheimer's Disease does cause many visual changes and falls are a huge risk. It is common for PWDs to perceive a dark area, such as a dark rug or an area in shadow, as a hole. If you already have eye disease, you are at increased risk for falls. You can Google "visual changes in Alzheimer's Disease " for more information, Janutt.

Iris

• Janutt

Hi Iris,

Thank you. I will have to look into this. I did mention this to the techs there who were doing my scans of what happened and what I’ve been seeing and they put it in the notes. I have already gotten rid of our rugs years ago not ever thinking this would be my reality.

Janet

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney