Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Cataract surgery?

My DW is schedule for cataract surgery next week but now I'm reconsidering.

She had a retinopexy to repair a hole in her retina a couple of years ago and that has increased her likelihood of cataracts in that eye. She still doesn't see well out of that eye due to the retina surgery. She has a bad cataract in that eye but the ophthalmologist said cataract surgery might help her to see out of that eye a "little" bit better but now I'm not sure it's worth the trouble. Post op eye drops that burn and make her cry 4 times a day for 30 days as well as the drama she will most likely experience while there. She is becoming more unstable and I just don't know if she can handle it.

Any insight would be helpful.

Comments

• loveskitties
    loveskitties Member Posts: 1,073
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

I had cataract surgery so know the ins-outs of the surgery and post op first hand.

With only a "might" and "little bit better" I am not sure I would do it for a loved one with dementia.

Some type of anesthetic would be required in order to get her to lay still for the surgery...even if only a twilight one. The entire process might be very scary for her.

Afterwards there would be the issue of keeping her from rubbing the eye during the healing process.

I didn't find the drops burn, but having to do it multiple times a day might be very challenging for you and her. You would need to know the ramifications of missing them, since it might occur.

I am sure you will do what you feel is best.

• ghphotog
    ghphotog Member Posts: 667
    500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Thanks Lovekitties, I went ahead and postponed it until after the first of the year then I'll re-evaluate.

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

I think you did the right thing by postponing it. For all the reasons that Lovekittens stated.

• Last Dance
    Last Dance Member Posts: 135
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions

I had cataract surgery in July and I don't think a person with dementia could handle it . I know I know my wife would have never been able to do it. I don't know how all surgeons operate but for me they put a sheet completely over my face, you can't see anything and they want you to lay perfectly still, they told me that even wiggling my legs a little bit could cause a problem . And then like you said the whole eye drop thing the wearing a patch over the eye for at least a day and every night for five days . Tough call for you to make, it really depends on how cooperative your wife is. I really think that it would be hard on her and you . If She doesn't read or drive I'm not sure the being able to see a little better would make that much of a difference for her. These things are so hard we want to take care of our loved ones to the best of our ability in some ways we just don't know what to do. God's Blessings to you, in making your decision.

• storycrafter
    storycrafter Member Posts: 273
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

I'll share my recent experience to contribute a little to your evaluation of what your wife might be able to handle. I do not have dementia (I hope not anyway; my dh has FTD).

I had cataract surgery a couple weeks ago and am still on the drops. I was told by staff, one reason they do the "conscious/twilight" anesthesia is because you need to be able to follow directions. One direction given was - don't move your eye; keep it on the lights; it's very important you keep your eye still.

I had the first eye done a couple weeks before the second. During the first surgery I was more aware and the light/s and colors were uncomfortably bright such that I began to feel fatigued and began strongly hoping the surgery wouldn't take much longer; I thought to myself - just endure, endure and it will soon be over.

The second surgery I told the anesthetist of my experience during the first one. Even though he said I did well in the first surgery and he'd use the same meds, I think the anesthetist might've slightly tweaked them. It seemed to go much faster and I don't remember the lights or any fatigue with the second one. The second surgery was much easier for me, not just because I knew what to expect second time around. So, anesthesia effects can vary.

After the first surgery and before I was released to go home, someone evaluated me for my level of pain or any discomfort, asking on a scale of one to ten where it was. I was aware of a dull ache in my head and was offered Tylenol; did I want one, or two? I don't remember being asked about my pain level after the second surgery.

Having my eyes done two weeks apart means I need to keep track of different eyedrops schedule for each eye. For example, my right eye now just needs drops once a day in the morning, while the left eye needs them twice a day.

I hope maybe something in this helps you with your thought process. If not, thanks for your patience. Best wishes whatever you decide!

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

This disease is full of decisions, and it's not always easy to know what is best. I don't think this is a "now or never" situation, so maybe the extra couple of months will help you decide. Whatever happens, we're here for you.

• LJCHR
    LJCHR Member Posts: 193
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

I agree with all the above and add that the anesthesia could make the dementia worse.

• Carmen M
    Carmen M Member Posts: 30
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes

I was in a similar situation. My LO should have cataract surgery but I elected not to have the surgery for all the reasons mentions....the trauma of the surgery, rubbing the eyes....the schedule for the drops. My LO still has 20/40 vision, doesn't drive and can still read with bifocal glasses.

Now I feel better for my decision after reading the posts. Thank you all

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,359
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

For the reasons @storycrafter mentioned and the fact that your wife's progression is such that she gets lost in her own home, I would pass. Even if the procedure would fully restore her vision, visual processing declines greatly in later stages which means even with perfect 20/20 vision her brain will misinterpret what her eyes see.

HB

• ghphotog
    ghphotog Member Posts: 667
    500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Thank you everyone!! I have much more insight now and am glad I cancelled the surgery.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more