Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Hides items or misplaces, things, and then blame someone else

JanetAunt
JanetAunt Member Posts: 2 Member

I am sure this is not unusual for many of you. It’s just very difficult when my spouse blames other people for taking the things I know we had. When I try to help him find them, he gets angry or the item can’t be found because I don’t know where it’s gone. And somehow, it ends up being my fault, or he sulks, the rest of the day.

Comments

• Jeanne C.
    Jeanne C. Member Posts: 805
    500 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

I'm sorry you're experiencing this. We went through this for a while (DH once hid ALL of his underwear). I became very good at finding things once I got to know his spots. Eventually this behavior lessened. While it was in full effect, I learned to empathize ("I'm sorry those kids keep moving your things") and redirect ("let's look for it after lunch" and he often forgot by then). For important or frequent items (like his wallet, even though there isn't anything of importance in it any longer), I added a Tile so I could find it with my phone. And when he sulks, let him. He'll get over it. Good luck.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more