Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Is this normal thinking??

I sit and read all the posts at about 6am as wife not up.Diagnosed 1yr ago mild Alzheimer I never really read a happy post , yes short term going and confused alittle my question is is it normal to feel that maybe she’ll stay just like this??

Comments

• Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

It’s totally normal charley to wish for stability, that things remain as they are. Particularly early stage.

Of course, reality is the AD is a progressive and ultimately fatal disease. But there are stretched of time, sometimes long stretches of time, where progression stalls or advances almost imperceptibly. My DW remained in late stage 6 for at least a couple of years, before progressing again to stage 7.

I hope for you and your DW that she hangs in at this stage for a long time.

• WIGO23
    WIGO23 Member Posts: 103
    100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions 10 Comments

Your post resonated with me. I think DH’s functioning may not get worse which makes planning more difficult. My DH with ALZ has MCI but functions very well most of the time. But then he will say or do something that is “off the wall” and I feel shocked. I then wonder if that demonstrates decline or just a momentary glitch in his memory or reasoning? My research indicates that not everyone with ALZ goes through all the stages. It is so confusing when most of what I read on support forums is just the opposite!

• charley0419
    charley0419 Member Posts: 354
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Just hard to get my head around this girl I know over 54 yrs ran business for years now asks me “what you think” with most decisions on anything from what to have to drink to what should I wear at times. but do notice when out to dinner will order what her friend will order, ordered a beer other nite 54 yrs married never saw her drink a beer. Some illness !!

• ghphotog
    ghphotog Member Posts: 667
    500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

It's long and slow. To be honest when my wife was in the early stages I actually liked her more. She was jovial, happy go lucky and nice to be around. She was always so serious about everything, never laughed at my sense of humor and frowned most times if I had a a beer or two. She needed me and trusted me with everything. I knew in the back of my mind though what it was all about but thought she easy to care for and this might not be as hard as I thought it would be. She still retains a lot of that, still thinks I'm funny but now there is so much more going on with this disease and it's difficult but I still love her.

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,404
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

Stage 3 MCI ( mild cognitive decline) lasts an average of two to seven years. Stage 4( mild dementia) lasts an average of two years. Average means that some people progress quicker and some progress slower. My mom started having issues of confusion and anxiety in 2018. They were out of state so all I noticed was that on phone calls. In Sept 2019 she had Urosepsis and seemed to need a nursing home. Once treated, she eventually got back to what the doctor diagnosed as an MCI level. Seems more like mild dementia to me.She sounds a lot like your wife She’s been at that level now for 4 years. Some days a little worse, but firmly in our reality.

So, yes, your wife could stay like she is for quite some time yet. No one knows. This is still a good place for you here. Lots of us have loved ones still at the early stage. We still need to vent because this stage can be frustrating.

• Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 682
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary

If it's Alzheimer's, then the decline is more gradual, so enjoy every moment you have while you can! Plan for the future, but take things one day at a time.

• trottingalong
    trottingalong Member Posts: 387
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

My DH stayed pretty much ok for 6 great years. It’s mostly been the past 6-8 months that it’s noticeable to both of us his short term memory is fading and his comprehension skills. Most days we still laugh and he has a quick wit. He gets more depressed than he used to and focuses on negative things too much. I watched his mother go through this. I’m hoping once again that he doesn’t progress quickly through this stage either. I will cross whatever bridge comes my way when we get there.

• WIGO23
    WIGO23 Member Posts: 103
    100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions 10 Comments

JScott,

Your comment, “I fear what I cannot predict” struck a chord with me. One of the struggles posted as my first post here was about moving to be near our daughter now while my DH is high functioning. I fear being away from family because I fear I cannot care for him alone, if things worsen. I fear moving because I fear we both may not adjust to leaving the only city we have ever lived in. Fear has become my very unwelcomed visitor since his diagnosis in April.

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

This is the time to do your bucket list. Do the things you have talked about doing. No one can predict the future of anything so as song says “live like you are dying “ . Enjoy every minute you both have, tomorrow will be here before you know it. Sending prayers for each of you.

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 884
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Charley0419 It's normal for you to wish she would stay that way as it's your brain trying to cope with the diagnosis and is a form of denial as protection for you. Hope that makes sense. I felt the same way 2 years ago when my DH was diagnosed with Dementia-probably vascular. Recently they changed it to Alzheimer's-Posterior Cortical Atrophy a rare form. They can't do an MRI so they didn't know for sure until I sent them a list of his behaviors. 2 years later he's Stage 5. Everyone progresses differently. Once I talked to the doctors and reality hit, I decided I would learn everything I could about the disease and about how I could best care for him and help him. I try to focus on today. That's not always easy. Each day is different. Some days he's easy going and other days he's very agitated. It's an emotional roller coaster. Read the book "The 36 Hour Day" if you haven't. It helped me a lot understand the disease and tips on how to care for him. As he progressed, I started keeping a list of his behaviors and I send them to his doctors once a month or so. They spend so little time with him they can't know what Stage he's in. The list helps me communicate with them.

• Elshack
    Elshack Member Posts: 238
    Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Charley, All the suggestions are good ones. Each case is different but the important part is to get your finances in order now and see a CELA lawyer re: your investments etc. If you are able to, do whatever is on your bucket lists as you really don't know her rate of progression with this disease. Be sure to get your wills updated and do not have her as your power of attorney. Knowledge is power and read as much as you can re: this disease and of course come to this site as it is a real comfort and can give you alot of support and info.

• charley0419

My wife in denial, no driving anymore short term and confused a lot but everything else fine

• Marta
    Marta Member Posts: 694
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Charley. It is likely that your wife is not in denial but has anosognosia like most PWD. Her broken brain is UNABLE to recognize the changes she has undergone due to the disease. This is why most PWD insist they are fine and will fight assistance with everything they have.

• storycrafter
    storycrafter Member Posts: 273
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    edited November 2023

My dh has been stabilized by meds for a long time now and the changes/declines have been generally subtle. It's been very slow progression for him after the first several tumultuous years it took to get to diagnosis. Once I got accustomed to the "new normal" (took me a long time to get over the shock and to adapt to our new and strange life), things have "settled" out, controlled by meds, and his decline is subtle and slow.

Due to the above and to my ability to adapt, it's easy to "pretend" he's sort of okay. A skilled counselor familiar with dementias and the effects on family dynamics has been very helpful for me over the past year. She has been a reality check I didn't realize I needed. It feels like I'm just beginning to finally get an inkling of true acceptance that ... I am a caregiver. I think my brain goes into a sort of conscious denial just to cope with the enormity of the impact of dementia on our lives together.

This was my long answer to your question just to say, Yes, it's normal to feel what you expressed. You captured it well in just a few words. Thank you for raising the topic.

• charley0419

I’m getting much better dealing with her as I don’t correct things she says we have done or places we’ve been. Hard at first but understand not same person

• LindaLouise
    LindaLouise Member Posts: 95
    100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes 10 Comments

Thank you for explaining the time it takes to come to grips with reality and see yourself as a caregiver. Some parts of our day feel normal, like having a cup of coffee in the morning or walking with our dogs, and dementia can temporarily seem like it is not real. My brain does that conscious denial thing for a minute until I remember and shift back to our current reality. There is such a roller coaster of emotions for me; my DH of 45 years was diagnosed last November - a year ago - and though there was relief in knowing what was causing the behaviors, that shift from partner to caregiver is seismic.

• annie51
    annie51 Member Posts: 127
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

So many great comments here. Early on when DH was still very functional and the memory issues weren't as paralyzing, we took some nice trips and made some new memories. Looking back I wish we had done more of that before the decline I've really noticed in the last year or so. Now I hesitate and stress out about any traveling, but still trying to do it. Take advantage of those early years like there's no tomorrow! You'll be glad you did, even if your LO may not remember it later. One day at a time, find some joy in the little moments.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more