Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

need to vent

DH and I were putting the storm windows in. We noticed some bees going into a small hole in the siding. Before I could stop him, he stuck the screwdriver in the hole and wiggled it around. So now we are both nursing multiple stings and the windows aren't in. He has no idea why this happened. He's like a large, helpless 3 year old.

Comments

• WIGO23
    WIGO23 Member Posts: 103
    100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions 10 Comments

I often feel frustrated as well when my DH does or says something that is unreasonable, unhelpful or even unsafe. I react appropriately sometimes and sometimes I do not. I try to stay calm, not to criticize him and move on as quickly as possible. I also try my best not to berate myself when I do or say something to him that is not within those guidelines.

This is much harder to me then caring for a child because I had patience and a desire to teach with no expectation that the child knew better. Sometimes, I forget that expecting DH to know better is not the reality. This cruel disease is robbing him of that a synapse at a time.

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,010
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

Yikes! A innocent move on his part with very bad repercussions. WIGO23 is right, it’s harder than caring for a child because a child can learn when we correct them. Our loved ones with dementia can’t really learn, they just keep forgetting more things. We always have to be trying to think one step ahead of them. In a way it’s a blessing when they become more dependent on us because they attempt less things themselves that they could screw up. That said, I still try to correct and teach my DH. At best, it seems to create more routines and he likes routine. At worst, he just forgets and I have to be the one to remember the things he’s forgotten, which increase as time goes on.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Sorry you had to experience something like this. Is there someone who could help you with this job other than him? You'll probably have to get rid of the bees before trying again. And you should probably have someone else do that for you. You don't need to repeat that experience.

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Ouch! The things we have to learn the hard way. Last summer we had a large group of bees all around our water hydrant in the front yard. Dh told me “don’t hurt them “. So I posted on our next door app to see if anyone wanted to get them. Two different men said they would be happy to get them. One came out with all his gear and tried for 2 days. Gave up, so the 2nd guy came out. He tried for 3 days. No luck, in the meantime they had some how gotten in the house. That’s when I started spraying to kill then. One of the guys let me know that yes they can and will sting you. I found dead bees for months!

how you can get some help getting your windows in and no more stings! Best of luck to you.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

My condo had a huge bee colony in the walls that the bee guy said had been there for at least seven years. On the other side of the complex, a neighbor had bees coming out of his tub faucet. How scary!

Iris

• CStrope
    CStrope Member Posts: 487
    100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

It must be the day for bee stories. Yesterday, we had a wasp flying around our living room. Since we've had some pretty cold nights already, Mr. Wasp wasn't really a threat, he was barely moving. I finished working and shut my computer down and relaxed in the recliner. DH came in, saw the wasp, and next thing I know he was holding it between his fingers!! I screamed drop it!! He dropped it onto the bay window sill, and looked at me so funny, wondering why I screamed. I asked him if he had gotten hurt, and he said "I don't think so", so I asked if he had an owie, and he just looked at me confused and said "Why". (I'll never understand why he wasn't stung)! Anyhow, he walked into the kitchen and came back eating a sleeve of Ritz crackers, suddenly he took one of them out, walked over to the window sill, and used it to squish the wasp! The poor Ritz crack was transformed to powdery crumbs, surrounding a very dead wasp! He turned to me and just said "there!". I could not stop laughing!

• GiGi1963
    GiGi1963 Member Posts: 101
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

LOL. Your DH very inventive.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia