Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

"I'm scared, I don't want to die!"

ghphotog
ghphotog Member Posts: 667
500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

My DW is in stage 6 somewhere and I sense we are getting closer to 7 but who really knows?

Anyway, she is scared all the time and every now and then, out of nowhere, she will start sobbing and with a terrified look on her face exlaim "I don't want to die!"

I'm not sure if those are moments of clarity but deep down she knows something is wrong but doesn't know what, or perhaps she senses the end is near. All I can do is hold her. When I ask why she thinks she's dying she will get emotional say she never said that, even if was seconds ago.

This dmn disease is so heartbreaking and I feel I'm getting empathy fatigue. I emphathize with her so deeply sometimes, it's exhausting.

Comments

• Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 682
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary
    edited November 2023

I don't have solutions, just to say we've gone thru this, too. When DH brings this up, I just lightly say, "don't be afraid, the moment we are born our path ends in death. No one is exempt. It's how you live that really matters." While everything this damn disease brings about is heartbreaking, we caregivers must learn to accept it. It'll help make things less difficult to deal with. Hugs...

• Jeanne C.
    Jeanne C. Member Posts: 805
    500 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited November 2023

I'm truly sorry. This happens with my husband sometimes. I do what you have done. I hold him, tell him not to be afraid and that I'm with him always. Sometimes I pray with him (for his comfort bc I'm not sure I believe in a power that lets this happen). I redirect, try to put on a happy face (he tends to mirror my attitude), and cry later when he's asleep. You're doing your best. That's all any of us can do.

• Vince607
    Vince607 Member Posts: 9
    5 Care Reactions First Comment

I understand what you are going through. I wish there were answers.

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

It does make things harder. My dh has told me many times he is dying. I just tell him we are all going to die and the best thing about dying is no more aches and pains. He will tell me “that’s a good thing “, and yes that’s a good thing!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more