Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Foley catheter

My DH is in the later stage of ALZ and has had a permanent Foley catheter for 6 months. He's been really good about leaving the catheter and stabilizer alone until recently. He has removed 3 stabilizers in the past two weeks. He does this at night while I'm asleep. Any suggestions about how to protect the stabilizer from prying fingers?

Comments

• loveskitties
    loveskitties Member Posts: 1,073
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

I take it this stabilizer is one that has adhesive backing to hold it in place.

Is it possible that the adhesive is irritating the skin?

If so have you tried a skin barrier wipe to use on the skin before applying the stabilizer?

Is it possible to put a layer of gauze around the leg to prevent easy access to the stabilizer?

No experience here, but just random thoughts of what might help.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,716
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Could you put gloves or mittens on his hands? They would need to be secured somehow...

• Mags2452
    Mags2452 Member Posts: 2
    First Comment

Thanks to all of you for the suggestions. Yes, the stabilizer has an adhesive backing and have used a skin barrier wipe before application. Mittens are not an option, he already is highly agitated. Gauze wrap is a great idea, will let you know how it works. He has pajamas but refuses to wear them. I'm an advocate for gentle care if possible so am using distraction to redirect behaviors, but is difficult when asleep (lol). It has to take an hour or more to pry the patch off with minimal damage to the skin. If anything, he has determination.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more