Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Trying to articulate an emotinonal experience I had

ghphotog
ghphotog Member Posts: 667
500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I'm a photographer, mostly real estate the last 10 years. Anyway I was shooting a property in Santa Fe while my DW was in daycare, I'm still fairly young and could have a few more good photography years left.

As I was wrapping up this particular job and putting my equipment away, there was an apartment complex down the street to my right. It was partly in shadow. I imagined living there by myself after this is all said and done and then an overwhelming sadness and loneliness hit my soul, similar to stepping outside from and air conditioned house and straight into an oven. The heat hits you immediately. The feeling almost overwhelmed me.

The thought of living someplace like that without friends, without family, knowing no one, I felt truly alone. It made me very grateful for my friends and what family I have left. I felt for those that are in that situation, no friends, no family. . . just alone in the world.

If I'm still standing when this is over my idea has always been to move somewhere I've never been and start life over but then I will be that lonely person in a strange place. I have no children of my own and I'm sure my step kids are going to want to take care of their 'ol step dad. However, I have great friends and that gives me hope.

I wanted to try and articulate that into words.

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,716
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited November 2023

Gh, i too fantasize about moving away and starting over. One of my dear med school classmates and I always talked about meeting up on the shores of Lake Geneva in another life, later life. But im not sure I'll have the energy when it's all said and done. Probably a good thing that we can't see the future. I understand your feeling, completely.

Love Santa Fe. Good memories there.

• Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 682
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary

Ditto. Ditto. Love Santa Fe but I don't have friends or family there. Looking forward to a new life gives me hope for my own future. I'm planning to move closer to my family and fingers-crossed that I have the financial means to do it. Right now, the real estate market is not so great as interest rates go up. It's all about timing. And whether the Almighty has other plans for me. Still, having hope is a good thing.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,762
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

I share that feelings come out of the blue. They have a life of their own and are uncontrollable. They can be overwhelming.

Re starting over....After my husband's death I stayed put but in a way I did start over. I became active at our art museum and trained to be a docent. My background was art so it was an easy choice but what was significant was I did not know anyone I became involved with.

Now regarding Santa Fe...we had a home there for years. It is, of course, an interesting place but what is unusual is the friendliness because everyone has come from somewhere else. That said, the friendliness does not extend beyond that large group of people but that is a topic for another time.

Anyway, a person does start over because their life has changed significantly. It is a time of newness. Like the song says some things are silver and some are gold....keep what you love while finding newness.

Added; my favorite activity at the museum is spending time with visitors who have dementia.

• Jgirl57
    Jgirl57 Member Posts: 468
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Ghpotog, I think you articulated your feelings rather well. I hope you are still finding joy in your photography. This past summer I wanted to spend my 66th birthday in Santa Fe so I tied it into our trip to Arizona to see my husbands son. I drove quite a few miles on Route 66 . I now cherish the memory of our spending time in Santa Fe as I don’t think think long trips are in our future. My goal now is to take better care of myself so I can manage a future. ( he has lost weight and I have gained)

• Anna2022
    Anna2022 Member Posts: 165
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

@ghphotog I'm so glad that I'm not the only one who feels this way. Thanks for putting it into public view.

• Howaboutnow
    Howaboutnow Member Posts: 133
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

@Whyzit —exactly.

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 835
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

I sometimes think about life after this disease. What will I do? Where will I live etc.? For me, I believe it is a way to dream for a better time when there is peace. I also, believe it gives us hope for our future and an escape from our present situation.

It is good that you came to the realization of our need for others as it will guide you to make healthy decisions at the right time.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more