Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Increasing anxiety with crying

My 91 year old mother was diagnosed with dementia this year but has been suffering for many years. She has issues with blood pressure dropping and has to be careful what she takes. I have read into the Zyprexa and Seroquel, and both of the drugs give warnings as they can cause a stroke, or a heart attack and they’re not really recommended for dementia patients. We had her on a low-dose of Xanax, which seem to be working, but my brother feels like it makes her sleep all the time. She sleeps all the time anyway as I feel like she is probably in stage six or seven at this time. I am thinking it might be worth it in the long run, as mentally she’s in horrible distress. I am just wondering what other peoples thoughts are on the antipsychotics and have they had any luck?

thank you,

a concerned daughter

Comments

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,404
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

My mom is on sertraline ( Zoloft) for anxiety and Mirtrazpine ( Remeron) for depression. Trazadone didn’t help and we weaned her off the Xanax in favor of the sertraline, getting those medications made a world of difference in her anxiety and pretty much eliminated the constant crying

Lots of medications are not geared toward the elderly or those with dementia…. But they solve the issue. So I’ve decided to err on the side of Mom’s quality of life ( and my own as her caregiver) rather than worry about possible side affects that only affects a small percentage. my mom isn’t interested in being miserable just so she might be able to proceed to the last stage of dementia

Your choice may be different.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney