Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Hallucinations

CindyBum
CindyBum Member Posts: 268
250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Have begun...or more accurately, I have finally accepted that they are here. My DW has had auditory hallucinations a lot in the last year, with the question, "Did you hear that? What was that?" repeated multiple times a day. Now, visual has emerged. "Whose cat is in our bed?" "Is that a person standing in the corner?"

The answer is no to all of these, sadly. I'm happy we have an appointment with the geriatric psychiatrist on Thursday to see if it's potentially the meds; I'm thinking Lexapro, Gabapentin or Galantamine could be the culprits, or, if it's merely another progression. Dang it. I already know the answer to that question.

Comments

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 884
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

So sorry about the progression. It's so scary. They put my DH on Risperidone 1/2 tab low dose in the evening then increased to another 1/2 tab in the AM. It has helped him sleep and be more calm during the day. He still has hallucinations at night sometimes but not as severe and I can get him back to sleep more quickly. I just tell him he's dreaming and to go back to sleep and it works most of the time.

• CindyBum
    CindyBum Member Posts: 268
    250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Thank you for that drug info. If/as they increase, I will have this in my back pocket.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more