Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

We Need Referral for Genetic Testing

@ Va Beach area willing to travel if telehealth not available. Waited 8 months to see Neurologist then he refuses to refer for (online) Genetic testing. Insurance not an issue. Says it "won't help him treat DH with MCI". Want answers not drugs. Dementia Panel logical next step. Should be OUR choice. Any ideas?? Need doctors who will actually WORK WITH US (not boss us around).

Comments

• FAHNJL
    FAHNJL Member Posts: 35
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions

DW had a neuropsych test done before we tried to make an appointment with a neurologist. Once the neuropsych test results came back with a positive diagnosis for MCI / probable Alzheimer's we then contacted our PCP with those results. Our PCP was then able to refer us to a neurologist who saw us within the month. That neurologist immediately set us up with a PET scan and a referral for genetic testing. We also have the advantage of living in the Houston area which is home to excellent hospitals and medical facilities in abundance. So maybe try having a neuropsych test done on your own, insurance covered most of ours, and take that to your PCP, maybe your PCP can get you in somewhere more quickly. Good luck.

• GemsWinner12
    GemsWinner12 Member Posts: 21
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Comments

Hello and I see you posted your question about a month ago. I wonder what questions you are hoping to have answered with online genetic testing. To my knowledge, you can pay out of pocket for any testing you don't need an MD order in most states. walkinlab.com. Quest tends to be cheaper across the board. Best to you and happy testing! Oh, and you can also go the 23 and me (lowbrow test/ unfulfilling results), to higher cost such as Invitae carrier screening, which is out of pocket 299 and maybe a bit less with promos and discounts. Happy holidays!

• ngurley1
    ngurley1 Member Posts: 2
    First Comment

Hi! I am wanting to get genetic testing, but there are so many options. Could you explain a little further please? I am willing to pay more for a more accurate test, but do not know if I need to or they are the same results as a Quest or walk in lab. TIA!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more