Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Caring for spouse

Good day all. I finally decided to become a member of this forum. I'm not sure if I can find the help, or information I'm looking for. but here goes. My beloved bride was diagnosed with alzheimer's nearly three years ago (she's only fifty-three). She was forced to retire two years ago, and since that time, she has continued her downward spiral. Immediately following the diagnosis in March, 2021, we attempted to get her into a medical trial. Unfortunately, she wasn't accepted into two different trials as her deficits were too severe. Her current medications include memantine and galantamine as well as an antidepressant. She is currently in stage 6 (actually parts of each substage of stage 6). She is still living at home, and while I'm her primary caregiver, my adult daughter helps by being with her every day until I get home from work. My work schedule in one where most days I'm home by 2pm

With all this said, until recently, I was seeing a therapist to help in dealing with this. Unfortunately, my therapist, who's specialty is alzheimer's, relocated out of state. I've been trying to find another therapist that specializes in alzheimer's, although I've not been able to.

Is there anyone that can direct me in this regard?

She doesn't yet qualify for medicare, although it's not an issue, as we've got coverage through the marketplace. My other issue, is that she doesn't qualify for medicaid, in that we own our home with $100k in equity.

In closing, thanking you in advance.

Comments

• FAHNJL
    FAHNJL Member Posts: 35
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions

Don't do ANYTHING to drain yourself financially until you meet with a Certified Elder Law Attorney (CELA). Depending on what state you live in you might not have to lose anything, but consulting with a CELA who understands and practices under the laws of your state is a must.

Also,I'm pretty sure that no matter which state you live in you are eligible for Medicare 24 months after you are certified by the state as disabled and begin receiving SSDI.

Good luck.

• Anna2022
    Anna2022 Member Posts: 165
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

Welcome, Big Glenn to the forum no one really wants to join. That said, I have found more information and comfort here than anywhere else. I hope you will return, read as much as you can, ask questions and share your lived experience with us. You never know who needs to hear what you have to ask/say.

As for a therapist, did your previous therapist make referrals to someone else? In other cases, friends and family usually know someone...I found my therapist when I discussed finances related to my DH future care with my financial planner and his business partner. They mentioned a name, I followed thru by researching that name online, I liked what I read and bingo, I found a great therapist. You just never know who knows what. Your local ALZ chapter may have referrals too? Also, if you let us know where you are located, someone might know someone....

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,359
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

Please talk to a certified elder law attorney asap.

There are strategies for Medicaid that allow a community spouse to keep their home and certain assets.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited November 2023
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 835
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi Glen,

I am pretty sure your DW is eligible for SS disability. Also, Victoria's point about long-term employer disability is a really good point. Please get the CLEA.

• Jeanne C.
    Jeanne C. Member Posts: 805
    500 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi Glenn, ditto on the CELA advice. Regarding a therapist, it's a shame your prior provider didn't give a referral. Try contacting your local Alzheimers Association chapter or even your wife's dementia doc's office to see if they can recommend someone. Good for you making sure you're taking care of yourself too. Welcome to the forum.

• Big Glenn
    Big Glenn Member Posts: 2
    First Comment

Thank you all for commenting. First, I'd like to clear up something: We were successful in getting approved, on the first attempt, for SSDI, and actually, we We had to jump through a few hoops, but we made it. As for Medicare, we can enroll her after 24 months of receiving SSDI, which will put us just a few months ahead of when we'd have to enroll my wife.

As for the forced retirement, my wife was working for the State of Texas, and she had only 7 years with them when she retired. In order for her to receive benefits, she had to have had a minimum of 10 years. Also, as for forced retirement, she literally could no longer do her job, and quite honestly, her division kept her for a year longer than they should have, based on her inability to do the work. Her division heads worked with me to select her end-date, primarily so I could work on what we needed for our medical benefits.

My wife's neurologist is at the medical center in downtown Houston (75 miles from us) so his office isn't much help. Again, thank you all for your comments, and I will certainly research finding an attorney I can speak with.

Bless you all.

• Chammer
    Chammer Member Posts: 140
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

@Big Glenn In regards to your search for a new therapist, is your former therapist able to continue your care via a remote option like teladoc?

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more