Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Headaches

Good Evening Friends,

My DH who is nearing severe stage is showing many signs of progression. He is having terrific headaches. I am attributing them to his PCP putting him on Abilify but could be progressions as it is certainly evident. The PCP believes it could be a little of both and is taking him off Abilify (of course weening him off) and will start him on Rexulti. Has any one else had experience with severe headaches - my DH is one that never really had a headache.

One other question as I educate myself of rexulti - my copay for a months supply with be $500. Anyone have ideas how to offset this cost??? I have looked into Medicare options but probably will not qualify for any income/resource based assistance according to what I read about that. My lawyer says she thinks we can qualify for Medicaid so I will start that process soon - if that is the case will Medicaid pay for this expensive drug??

I appreciate all your feedback- Many Thanks

Comments

• Pat6177
    Pat6177 Member Posts: 442
    100 Likes Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions

Kasharb, I googled Rexulti and got onto the rexulti.com website. I noticed that they have a cash card for discounts. I have no idea if you’ve already seen this. If not, it’s maybe worth checking out.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,716
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

There are cheaper generic drugs in the same family that are similar to Rexulti though not FDA approved for dementia. Ask about Seroquel or Risperidone, these are very commonly used and would cost much less. Headache is the most common side effect of Abilify.

• Howaboutnow
    Howaboutnow Member Posts: 133
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

Hi, I don’t know anything about Rexulti, but if it is similar to Seroquel, with the free Good Rx app (not using any insurance) seroquel is heavily discounted. Ex. 90 tablets 25mg are $11.60 for a local-to-me Safeway. In the app, prices are searched near you. Then you choose which pharmacy and price is best for you. Most large grocery chains honor pharmacy apps and my experience has been they will search on their end even which app gives best discount. If you pursue that, go during non-peak store hours when they can be more generous with their time. 😊

• Marta
    Marta Member Posts: 694
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Agree that Rexulti’s cost buys you nothing that you wouldn’t get with Seroquel or Risperdal. I would forget about it. Medicaid isn’t going to cover it because inexpensive alternatives are available.

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,010
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

Agree with Howaboutnow on using Goodrx for MUCH lower prices on prescription drugs. Our grocery chain pharmacy has my Goodrx number on file, so I don’t even have to look it up. They are typically about half the price of our co-pay with our part D insurance. Goodrx covers mostly generic drugs, not the new brand name ones. Goodrx prices are different at each pharmacy chain around here.

• Ronk246
    Ronk246 Member Posts: 19
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

I just found out that Amazon has begun filling prescriptions. One scrip I have gotten for several years through a local pharmacy currently costs $74.00 for a 90 day supply is only $27.00 through Amazon. I am awaiting the delivery of my first order, placed it yesterday, supposed to be here tomorrow.

My PCP had no problem sending the refill to Amazon, I hope this is not a "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably isn't."

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more