Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Dealing with Husbands’s delusions

Another tough afternoon/evening. Went for a short walk, tried to clear my head and comeback refreshed. Doesn’t know who I am or why I’m here, wants to know how long I’m going to stay. More settled now but I am done in.

Comments

• mmperkins
    mmperkins Member Posts: 2
    5 Care Reactions First Comment

Thanks for the helpful reminder.

• Brokenhearted in Illinois
    Brokenhearted in Illinois Member Posts: 70
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes

Me too, my DH asks me the same questions and more this afternoon he referred to me as his girlfriend “How long did it take you to drive here?” Many times I just go along with it and tease him that we are dating all over again! -open your wallet! He has asked me when I am leaving sometimes I either ignore the question or remind him this our shared home. He forgets and we move on to another activity

i am now at p the point where I am realizing that the wonderful guy I married 5 years ago is gone.. I am now truly grieving and beginning to envision my life without him

this had taken me over a year to get to this point It is a journey we take alone as their spouse

• Drapper
    Drapper Member Posts: 79
    Third Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes 10 Comments

My heart goes out to you, and all of us caregivers. There is no answer or words that can said to take away the pain and loss we all feel as our loved ones disappear. We can just get up, wipe away the tears , and show up as the best version of ourselves in this given moment.

• hiya
    hiya Member Posts: 63
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions

My husband does exactly the same. I’ve had to get photos out to try and prove I’m his wife. He seems to remember most others he’s in regular contact, it’s just me. He asks where I’m going to sleep, who is home, who is coming. It hurt a lot initially. I’m now used to it and mostly able to just go along with what he says.

Try to remember it’s not aimed at hurting you, they just can’t put the pieces together.

hugs

• hiya
    hiya Member Posts: 63
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions

I’m so sorry for you loss, Maureen.

just wondering, how long ago and what stage was your husband when he started this? thank you

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Mmperkins I went thru that. I never tried to prove who I was, because the me she remembered was a much younger man. She started asking if we were married when she saw our wedding photos and I had hair back then, that was who she was looking for, never to see him again. I just tried to work thru it each time she would say I needed to leave. I told her I just needed a bed for the night and could earn my keep by fixing stuff. That's crazy but it worked for me.

• Kat63
    Kat63 Member Posts: 60
    Fourth Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

I’m experiencing the same thing with my DH. He is confusing our daughter with me and doesn’t think I should be here or drive his car. He said I need to buy my own car. I’ve tried different things to redirect but so far nothing has really helped. All day yesterday was tough and today already is not any better. For me this is the hardest thing to deal with. Helps to know others are experiencing the same thing.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more