Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

, Magnesium L-Threonate

Donr
Donr Member Posts: 182
Tenth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes

Has anyone used Magnesium L-Threonate for their loved one or for themselves? This form of magnesium has the ability to penetrate the brain's blood barrier. This type of magnesium is recommended for several problems including for dementia. It is not a cure.

Comments

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,762
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

I remember that it was important not to cross the blood barrier. Maybe my memory is incorrect but I would double check before doing this.

• wizmo
    wizmo Member Posts: 96
    Fourth Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

This form of magnesium was specifically recommended as part of an alternative treatment program we tried for several years, under supervision of a functional medicine doctor. I believe it may have helped slow progression through early to mid stages (the combination of diet, supplements, mental and physical exercises) but doubt any single thing would have much impact on its own. Everyone is different. I would at least discuss with your health care providers and not do your own experiments as even common OTC supplements can interact with medications.

• Donr
    Donr Member Posts: 182
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes

Wizmo, I plan to discuss the supplement with my doctor and my wife's dementia doctor.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more