Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Selfish post

ghphotog
ghphotog Member Posts: 667
500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I know this might sound like I'm only thinking of myself but I really am having a bad day of my own. I've been taking care of her for years, the constant shadowing, racking my brain trying to interpret everything she's telling me and she won't shut up, not for a minute, the never ever ending drama, the crying, the yelling, the door slamming, from sun up to sundown and I'm not exaggerating. I'ts not a UTI just this freaking disease. I know it's not her fault and that's what makes it even harder.

Most days I'm ok and can handle it but there are days like today I feel like it's NEVER going to end. She picks up on my frustrations and that just sets her off even more. Even now she's over my shoulder watching me, she can't see good and has no idea what I'm typing. Today I just feel I can't take it any more. My body is literally falling apart, I can't even wipe my own butt without causing an injury to my rotator cuff that might require surgery. I cancelled the Ortho appt. I'll just work it out. My back hurts, my mind hurts, my leg hurts and my shoulder hurts like hell when I move it certain ways.

IDK, I see no light at the end of this tunnel and I feel it will not end. . . ever.

I've been living in this demented world a long time now and days like today make me seriously think about placement even if it bankrupts me. As George Strait sang in his song "Amarillo by Morning", "I ain't rich but lord I'm free".

Don't get me wrong, I care very very deeply for her and I've always tried to treat her with dignity and respect through all of this.

On top of all of this is my mom whom I placed in MC a while back but I'm still responsible for her in a lot of ways, especially emotionally, and it makes no difference how I feel or how burned out I am sometimes, I still have to care for her as I drag my demented wife along in tow. I have to schedule her dr appts around my wifes and my own, I have to take her to every single one and be there in the exam room so I can hear what the Dr. is saying. She lost here teeth again. Second time in a month I've had to schedule her for denture replacements, making sure her MC bill is paid, dealing the Human Resources to get her Medicaid to kick in. . . . . . . etc and etc. prd. dot.

Thanks for being here and thanks for letting me vent a little.

I keep editing this because as I write more and more keeps flooding my brain.

Comments

• Jeanne C.
    Jeanne C. Member Posts: 805
    500 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

I'm sorry you're having a hard day. It's not selfish to feel that way. You're a great caregiver and doing the best you can. And you're allowed to vent. Can I be nosey and ask if you've looked into Medicaid? I know it varies by state, but I was able to get Medicaid to pay for in home care among other benefits. I so want you to have some help and respite. And if you're in crisis, please please call someone. You're important. Feel free to send me a private message if you want to talk.

• terei
    terei Member Posts: 570
    Seventh Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

I’’m sorry but you are killing yourself. It is hard enough having responsibility for someone in a facility, let alone trying to care for someone 24/7. If you have not seen a CELA to try to work out the finances for placement, do it now. You will not be bankrupted but it will be hard…please start thinking of yourself + your wellbeing. You are as important as she is.

• ghphotog
    ghphotog Member Posts: 667
    500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I'll be ok until days like this start piling up on top of each other. Just a bad day emotionally for me as I was irritated all day. I have days like that from time to time.

• Buggsroo
    Buggsroo Member Posts: 573
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions

I totally get where you are coming from. There were days when an Oppenheimer blast would go off in my head. I honestly wondered if I would ever come through the other end.

my husband is going I to long term care from the hospital. I have seen how improved he is. He smiles, answers simple questions and looks at all the activity around him. I visit once weekly and he is happy and really well cared for.

I can’t take credit for it, however he sure is a lot happier than when he was at home. The key is that the staff are on shifts and can go home, which is something you cannot do. Maybe your sanity is worth it.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,359
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

I am sorry for the place in which you find yourself. I suspect many of us have felt it-- you just said the silent part out loud as the kids say.

I came across this piece yesterday and it really spoke to me.

From the NYT: Coping with Anger as a Family Caregiver — ALZConnected

HB

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 835
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

I am so sorry and I hope you get relief soon. You deserve a life and peace. Check with her doctor for meds for her anxiety etc. Check with your doctor about an antidepressant. It has really helped me. Meds can do alot to manage both her symptoms and yours. Please vent any time as we are here for you.

• Smilescountry
    Smilescountry Member Posts: 108
    25 Likes 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Care Reactions

Oh, my! I am so sorry for what all you are going through. It is not easy. You have already received some really good advice. I will say, again, to take care of yourself. Taking care of two people at the same time, even if one is in a facility, is a real challenge. Sounds as if you need some relief. I was advised to make time for myself every day, and, for me, that is teaching just two hours a day. I talked to a gentleman at church Sunday whose wife has Alzheimer’s. He is still caring for her at home, but he is exhausted, as are you. His daughter took her mom home with her for a week just to give her dad a break. The man was feeling a little guilty, but, at the same time, he was thankful to be able to get some rest. My parents sleep in separate rooms so that my mom can get some rest. At first, she felt guilty not doing everything for Dad herself, but she is slowly seeing the benefit of others helping Dad with his night time episodes so that she can rest. I would suggest finding something that works for you. It seems as if you are at a place where decisions need to be made, whatever they are.

• Howaboutnow
    Howaboutnow Member Posts: 133
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

Thank you for venting,, it makes me feel a little more normal. As taxing days like you describe pile up, over several years, it often feels like another minute is impossible to endure. We are so done. But we can’t be done.

And then we are blessed with the elusive good night’s sleep, or see the sunrise, or get some fresh air for a bit in peace without “our shadow” aka LO, and suddenly we’ve moved past that desperate moment and find strength to stay.

I’m going to pray you get your moments more often, where you can separate from the intensity and get your mind a rest.

• LindaLouise
    LindaLouise Member Posts: 95
    100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes 10 Comments

I appreciate your honest feelings - you speak truth for so many of us and the comments here remind me that self care is not a luxury if we are to continue as care givers. I also care for both my 92 year old mother and my husband. My mom does not have dementia, but is very demanding and not happy that her daughter has another responsibility other than her! No compassion for my situation with my DH, whom I can't leave alone, but only how that impacts getting her needs met. I've finally pushed my brothers to take a more active role with my mom - and the relief I felt when one of them took her to her doctor appointment was stunning. Prayers for you and all of us in this challenging situation - appreciate the encouragement in some of the comments that we do find strength to stay...

• Kibbee
    Kibbee Member Posts: 229
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

Your post resonated with me, and if venting helps bring relief, then come here and do it. It’s a sympathetic audience, since we are all living in Caregiver Land, dealing with many challenges and doing the best we can.

I find I am coping and doing OK in my caregiver world until suddenly, I am not. Sometimes it’s something DH does, but sometimes it’s just running out of “go” due to the unending grind of being constantly on duty. This is magnified by the feeling there is no known end in sight. It can really sap your energy and patience.

I hope you will be able to find a way to give yourself a break. I’ve always been a budget-minded and frugal person, but I have had to come to terms with spending money on caregivers so that I can get away from time to time. I recently did a weekend trip with friends and spent more on caregivers than I did on hotel, meals, and transportation combined. For me that brings on a certain amount of budget anxiety, but I know time away is necessary to provide some balance and happiness in my life. I have to stay healthy -physically, mentally and emotionally - in order to continue to be a good caregiver. I hope you will find a way to give yourself a break, both in actual time away from caregiving, but also in acknowledging that you need and deserve to be healthy and happy too.

• Anna2022
    Anna2022 Member Posts: 165
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    edited November 2023

I'm so sorry that it was a bad day. I've had them; I think we all have had them.

Awhile ago, my anger was fierce and starting to come out sideways and I didn't want to take it out on my DH, so I started therapy. I found a therapist who works with caregivers and who gets it. I say things to her that I can't say to others. It's been a life-saver. If you aren't already accessing therapy, I would suggest you might work on finding a therapist? It's worth every penny I pay, with the help of insurance! Most therapists work by/have telehealth sessions so you don't have to leave the house.

I know you know this already but it bears repeating: I was told early on that the dementias will kill me alongside my DH if I don't take care of myself. I second the ideas of reviewing medication or considering placement. You deserve a life and she may benefit from the care they provide. There are many options out there at all price points.

In the final analysis, you know what's best for your family and you get to make the decisions. From what I've read about your journey, you care deeply about your DW and family and have worked hard to take care of them all.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,759
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

I too understand. I too thought "runaway" would be the solution however because of who we are we are not going to do that.

Is it possible to keep your wife busy? If so we can share ideas.

jUDITH

• Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    edited November 2023

GH, yours is so much not a selfish post. A vent, sure, and this is a safe place for it. Two points: one, your plate is beyond full, with two LOs to care for and each of them challenging. It’s no wonder you feel overwhelmed, often. We all do, at least at times. But if those feelings persist, then we have to take some action, whether it’s medication, placement, or something else. Second, it’s generous of you to share your experience—it validates what many of us are going through. So, thanks for your post, and I hope things settle down for you.

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Ghphotog your lo's are lucky they have you. My days of the 24/7 stuff you talk about are over.The cna's get to go home from what they do but you don't!

You got a lot of advice about taking care of you. That is NOT selfish. And as you know having placed one doesn't mean your free and clear. Your doing super human work. My prayers continue for all of us.

Stewart

• Mimi50
    Mimi50 Member Posts: 139
    100 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions
    edited January 4

It is perfectly normal to feel this way. My husband is not as far along. As your wife is. My mom’s health is good. She will be 77 next month. Lives by herself. My Dad will be 81 in February. My stepmom is caring for him. They live in Texas. He so far is resisting any tests at all. When my husband was diagnosed year ago. The doctor was surprised she said that most people are not diagnosed. Until much later into the dementia stages. You are stressed and worried. Which is normal and understandable.

• avieDa921)
    avieDa921) Member Posts: 43
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Likes

I’m stressed most days, especially when my DA (ALZ 6 years) hallucinates now everyday starting around 2:00 pm where I am not his wife. Follows me around the house, wanting to know what I’m doing & offering to help. Sometimes says you don’t have to do that, you’re doing too much! Ok, so I’m thinking if it was me would he be saying this! I also have to worry if he will make me leave the house because his wife or mother may not like it! This goes on maybe until bedtime! This has been going on for about a month and I said to myself I can’t & won’t do this every night! I love this man of 55 years & I don’t mind his repeat questions or asking about family members everyday, It’s all the drama that comes with him not remembering me for so many hours! With the help of our doctor he is now on Seroquel, just trying to get the right dosage! You know what, we’re entitled to have “bad days.”

• GiGi1963
    GiGi1963 Member Posts: 101
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

If it is any consolation I am living the same scenario. My husband doesn't think I'm his wife. That he has ever been married and follows me like a shadow wanting to help. We've been married 60 years and you would think he knows me, my name, etc. Went through bedtime and his not wanting to sleep with me because he is faithful. That has not happened in awhile and the sundowning does not last as long lately. Small progress

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more