Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Feeling guilt

Hello. This is my first post. My wife was diagnosed wih dementia about a year ago and then in March suffered a severe stroke which complicated the dementia. She is in a nursing home nearby and I spend every afternoon, though supper. I've got a routine in which she brushes her teeth and I say I'll see you tomorrow. Many times she wants me o stay and starts crying. But i go anyway. and then when I'm home I suffer deep guilt and get depressed. How do you handle this?

Comments

• Phoenix1966
    Phoenix1966 Member Posts: 198
    100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes Second Anniversary
    edited November 2023

Welcome although I’m sorry you have to be here.

You might consider finding an excuse to slip out without saying goodbye. Perhaps you need to speak to someone or need to use a restroom outside of her room rather than let her know you are leaving and she is staying.

Others will be along shortly with additional ideas/suggestions.

Please allow yourself some grace when you get home. You are doing your best by her and she is cared for.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 835
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Have you tried counseling? It has helped me alot. If you can find someone with experience/knowledge of Alz. it would help you.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more