Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Entering the 7th

2»

Comments

• Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Toolbelt,

I wonder if the physician acts as a sort of “silent partner” within the whole Hospice experience- -? My DH entered Hospice just 3 1/2 days before he passed. In that short time, I met with the Hospice nurse(s) on several occasions, the Chaplin, a bath aide, and a counselor. No mention of a physician, however, DH was administered morphine and Ativan, when he previously took no medication. I wonder if those medications required authorization from a doctor.

The important thing is care and comfort for your DW immediately; the rest will fall into place. Thinking of you.

• Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

I am saddened to hear Stewart, of your DW’s distress and the inevitable progression of her AD.

We have home hospice care for my DW. I talked with my DW’s nurse practitioner following a hospitalization and she agreed hospice might be appropriate and made the referral. This hospice organization is within the same healthcare system.

The hospice nurse makes weekly visits and, if medication adjustments are necessary, consults with the hospice doctor. All medications are covered by Medicare.

Whether it’s from hospice or not, your DW needs relief. Hopefully the MCF can provide palliative care. If not, then you do need assistance from hospice. I hope you and your DW get the support you need.

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 798
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Beachfan, you are correct.. primarily the hospice physician communicates with the Team. And yes, that physician signs off (approves) all medication orders.

• easy23
    easy23 Member Posts: 200
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

The sign-off by an MD for my mother's hospice was the same as @Vitruvius. The hospice doctor gave the approval, not the primary care doctor.

• Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 682
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary

TBE, are there other hospice companies in your area? I understand that each hospice company can have varying requirements and/or services. At least, this is the case here in CA.

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Dio I believe there are several hospices in our area. I am taking a wait and see attitude for a little while As you know things can turn on a dime. We had 2 good days and now it's a bad day. She didn't sleep last night till 5 am this morning so no breakfast, lunch isn't touched. Almost sleeping sitting up right now, she isn't in any pain that I can tell. I am sure if I insist things will happen.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,717
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Peace to you both Stewart. I hope she's comfortable, that's the most important thing.

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited November 2023

TBE - I am glad your pushing got assurances from the MCF that they will prioritize your concerns.

I'm with Vitruvius as one who has worked with 3 different hospices (2 for DH, 1 for a different family member) and the hospice evaluator (nurse) makes their assessment with the hospice's MD. I think the ad is just reassurance that protocols are followed to be sure hospice admissions follow regulations and are reviewed by an MD for the final decision.

Your initial concerns and instincts were right I believe - I don't think you were overreacting at all -- your DW has enough of the criteria that make her eligible for most hospices, in my view. At least based on our experience. I still don't understand the response of the MCF as if it creates more work for them if she's on hospice. Her care needs should be the priority and hospice brings extra support to your DW and to you, and in theory, to her facility. I'm with the rest of folks here who don't understand their resistance.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more