Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

What Vehicle Is Easy for Our PWD to Get In and Out Of?

My DH is probably in Stage 5 and is getting frail in addition to moving slowly. We currently have a sedan which I’ve never liked getting in and out of. I had previously driven an SUV for years. So I am looking at a small SUV, a Hyundai Kona. I’d love to hear your opinions of what vehicles your LOs have had an easier or harder time getting in and out of. Thank you!

Comments

• loveskitties
    loveskitties Member Posts: 1,073
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

I have a Nissan Rogue. When I would take Dad to appointments and such he sat in the back seat. He never had a problem with getting in/out, but did lose the ability to fasten the seat belt...but that was no big deal to do for him.

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

DW no longer understands how to get into a car and I cannot even explain to her that she has to step up into the car. I have an Outback but have also borrowed a Camry see if that worked better but I had the same issue with both vehicles. A physical therapist recommended I try a very simple product called an Easy Car Transfer Sheet (I got it on Amazon). It is just about an 18 inch wide nylon loop (like a skirt) that you place on the car seat, then if I get DW to sit on the edge of the seat I can pick up her feet and slide her in. This simple device has allowed me to continue to take DW places in the car.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,359
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

IME, this skill is like any other. A PWD will retain the "muscle memory" of the car they're most familiar with the longest generally.

I had the most success with getting dad in and out of the minivan. I think the height, large doors and leather seats played into this as well. Dad had a harder time with his Taurus and my Accord. Mom's Miata was a no go. A dear friend of mine also found that her mom did best with the family's minivan rather than the smaller sedans.

HB

• Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

In recent years, I’ve leased my cars. Early in the Alz journey I had a VW Passat sedan- - not a problem. Then a VW Tiguan (VW’ s smaller SUV)- - DH would back against the passenger side seat, bend slightly and slide himself in and draw his legs in- - not a problem originally, until he “forgot” the sequence and I would have to lead him away from the car and start over. Most recently I’ve leased a VW Jetta at my son’s suggestion- - “The seat is lower; pop can just turn and sit down.” NOT. DH was frightened to lower himself; sometimes he would feel the seat behind him, then hang on for dear life and lower himself down until he was sitting on the running board outside the car. Eventually, it became almost impossible to get DH into or out of any vehicle; once he was placed in MC, he no longer traveled anywhere so the issue became moot. He passed last April after 17 months in MC.

On a lighter note, my Jetta lease is up soon. I’m going back to the Tiguan because it’s easy to throw stuff in the back- - grandkids’ beach gear, camp chairs for soccer and baseball games, random groceries, etc. I joke with the kids that one of these years (sooner rather than later), when my 3 year lease is up, they’ll take away my keys.

• Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

No question for DW it is less challenging (note I didn’t say easier!) to get in and out of our Forester SUV than a sedan. She has forgotten how to do this, but the higher seat means she just has to be leaning against it and I can sit her down and then pick up her legs and swing them in.

• Razduck
    Razduck Member Posts: 13
    Third Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    edited November 2023

Let me get the facts set first. My wife is about 5’8” tall and wears regular length jeans. This will give you the basics as every person is built different. So if your loved one is 5’2” or 6’1” tall, then you’ll need to use our observations in relation to your loved one.

We have two different Toyota SUV’s. We have a 2021 Highlander Platinum and. 2021 RAV4 XLE Premium. In regards to getting in and out of the vehicle goes, the RAV4 is a much better height where the seat height is perfect for her. The only negative is that there’s less leg room when she swings her legs into the seated position. Once inside, she finds it comfortable and she really enjoys the heated seats.

in regards to our Highlander Platinum, the seat height is about 2”-3” higher on level ground than the RAV4. It makes it a little more of a challenge to get seated. She has to get onto her tip toes to get seated on the edge of the seat before swinging her legs in. She enjoys riding in the Highlander much more because the seat is wider and more comfortable, she can see better and loves the heated and cooled front seats.

For us, the Toyota Highlander suits her needs better than the RAV4, but not by much. We bought the RAV4 3+ years ago for my wife to drive. She was able to drive for a short time after her diagnosis, but in the 2 years we hardly drive the RAV4 anymore. We will likely have to sell it before too long.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more