Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Alzheimers??

Hi this is my first time posting. My husband Is 66 and fell down the stairs 3 years ago and broke his neck, luckily he survived. However he was receiving physio and was struggling with balance, co- ordination and shuffling gait. The physio mentioned vestibular delay, his brain delays sending messages. He was referred to a neurologist for a DAT and MRI scan, these came back clear for parkinsons, his memory test showed some decline, so we are waiting for a follow up appointment for his symptoms. These are mainly shuffling when walking, short term memory loss, lack of confidence, feeling of falling when bending forward, urine incontinence sometimes. He says he isn't right but doesn't know why. I'm now suspecting alzheimers. I would have thought that his scans would have shown alzheimers. Does this ring any alarm bells? Thanks for any input.

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,716
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Welcome to the forum. Alzheimer's is not a diagnosis that can be made on CT or MRI scans. Has he seen a neurologist, or is that what you are waiting on? Ask about normal pressure hydrocephalus too, that is a potentially treatable disease (may require a lumbar puncture to diagnose).

• Marta
    Marta Member Posts: 694
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

What M1 is saying is that some of your husband’s symptoms may be pointing to normal pressure hydrocephalus, which potentially can be alleviated by a shunt that diverts the fluid which is causing the pressure.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more