Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Pot smoking

Hello all—am wondering if any of you have experience with pot smoking and dementia. My wife, who is perhaps around stage 3, insists that smoking pot relaxes her. But I find her insufferable when she gets high. It changes her personality—she becomes even more repetitive and also seems to misapprehend so much of what I say in a way that turns into precisely the sort of arguments that I try so hard to prevent. Perhaps it does help her, but what about me?

Comments

• easy23
    easy23 Member Posts: 200
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

My husband didn't smoke pot but he bought Delta 8 THC gummies at a local convenience store. Mind you, he didn't only take one - he ate half the bag. It made his dementia so much worse and even caused incontinence. He was completely stoned and obnoxious. I now refuse to drive him to the convenience store to play lotto.

• brooklynborn123
    brooklynborn123 Member Posts: 26
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Care Reactions

I am not sure if you meant to, but your post made my laugh out loud. Thanks

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    edited November 2023

I know it's not funny but you made me laugh as well. I have taken the delta 8 gummies and there is a 2 hr delay. I can't imagine eating a whole one, I cut a 60mg into 6 pieces. I can't imagine eating that much yikes.

• easy23
    easy23 Member Posts: 200
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

LOL right? Who would think of these things?

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,761
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

You just need to find the right amount of gummie to use...

• mommyandme (m&m)
    mommyandme (m&m) Member Posts: 1,468
    1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

For me, getting a THC high makes me feel like I have dementia. I can imagine if I had a dementia diagnosis the affects would be way worse. Doesn’t stop me though 🤭

• charley0419
    charley0419 Member Posts: 354
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

My wife stage 3? Smoked at nite to sleep goes to bed at 11 sleeps till 8.

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 835
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

I have had a medical marijuana card (State of Maryland) for chronic pain and neuropathy for 3 years. I only take it at night. I take 12 - 15 mg of THC gummies and CBD. It helps me sleep. The physician at the dispensary educated me on taking CBD with the THC so that you do not have the psychedelic effects. It just helps you sleep. I would not take it during the day because it does make you very tired and your memory is diminished. (I suspect like dementia). Also, for someone with Alz, it probably would make them unsteady and at risk for a fall.

If you are using Delta 8 or THC, please go to a reputable dispensary.

Bottom line, if your DH takes Delta 8, then mix in equal miligrams of CBD and it should put him to sleep. I am not sure I would trust Delta 8 but I don't really know enough about it. Hope this helps.

• CindyBum
    CindyBum Member Posts: 268
    250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I am grateful my DW stopped smoking early in. She could tell it was harming her cognition and making her more anxious. She didn’t like that. No question it’s not helpful to cognition.

I wish it helped her anxiety, though. That is harder for me to watch in her than some of the other symptoms. I hate knowing and seeing she’s afraid.

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 835
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi Cindy, My PCC put my DH on a zoloft and it seems to have helped. Maybe that would help your DW.

• Pietas61
    Pietas61 Member Posts: 20
    10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

I'm new to this site as of today. My wife, mi vida, was diagnosed with early onset 2 days ago here in Ecuador at age of 56. Moving now soon back to USA. I needed this. Funny as hell :)

• Howaboutnow
    Howaboutnow Member Posts: 133
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

She may consciously or unconsciously use it as an escape, just as some start to use alcohol (or increase its use) especially in beginning of dementia when they have some awareness that things aren’t right. Plus, their ability to moderate is declining and disinhibition is increasing so they use more than they normally would, and they become unaware of the effect it has on them and consequently on their caregiver. Neurologist said alcohol was a no-go but that had no effect on DH as he didn’t really understand the magnitude of the “why” nor remember it was even said.

Personally, i found DH increase in alcohol really upsetting. Things were bad enough without the added incapacitating effect of alcohol. It felt like he didn’t care it made things even harder for me. Yeah, he didn’t have self-awareness to understand that, nonetheless it p!ss*d me off because i had no choice in having to deal with the added burden of dealing with all that comes with drunk + dementia. (Over drinking was not his normal M.O….looking back…i think it started to increase even before diagnosis, which is not surprising with what I’ve read).

As dementia progressed and he couldn’t drive, i had more control over it to now, maybe 2-3 beers/week. He rarely asks for it and is easily distracted if he does. “Oh we ran out, I’ll get some after work tomorrow”. I offer one on occasion only because it gets a positive response. Not convinced he actually enjoys it,,,

Your DW being early in the disease, you may have awhile that this particular thing is challenging. I feel your pain. Personally, if i am responsible for giving care, it’s not ok for habits that exacerbate everything negative (that we can’t ignore or escape).

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more