Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Veteran's Assistance with home accommodations and home health

Does anyone have experience with getting assistance from veteran's health benefits? If so, what have they provided? Is it dependent on financial need? Is it a lot of hassle?

Comments

• Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 4,312
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Hi Denise, My husband was 100%% service connected and the VA provided any and everything we needed. He was diagnosed with Vascular Dementia in 2008 and I lost him January 15, 2015. I was able to keep him at home and was his sole caregiver- no nearby relatives to help. No hassle at all to get help from the VA.

We had both been employed at our fairly local VA Hospital but this had nothing to do with the care and supplies provided. You need to talk with a social worker at your VA Hospital and a Service Officer. We used the Oklahoma Department of Veterans Affairs. There are many organizations you might use. If your husband is service connected, there shouldn't be a problem. What can be provided depends on the percentage of service connection.

First, talk with the Outpatient Social Worker and they will guide you. There is help out there and a veteran has earned any help they can provide. Don't hesitate to ask for help. Good luck.

• marier
    marier Member Posts: 58
    Sixth Anniversary 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments

My DH is a vet and not service connected. I receive excellent help from the VA. I live in Phoenix AZ. The VA supplies all hygiene items, hospital bed, wheel chair etc... even installed safety bars and a bidet. My DH also attends a Day Program, home health aide to assist in getting him up and ready for the day and evening help, transportation on para -transit, 180 hours of respite care a year and two weeks of inpt respite care. All this with out charge. They offer lots of education on dementia as well. If you have a service connection there are more benefits.

I just called and talked to a social worker and found it very easy to get things started. I believe with the help the VA offers I will be able to keep him at home.

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 835
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
  • Marp
    Marp Member Posts: 170
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

I asked the VA social worker assigned to my sister about transportation to day care and they said the VA wouldn't cover it.

I either drive her or I pay for the transportation service.

• Marp
    Marp Member Posts: 170
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

The social worker also said I couldn't get help at home because the day care 5 days/week was already more than she's supposed to get, according to some new formula they have. She was already getting the day care benefit so they wouldn't take it away; they just won't add more services.

• Carmen M
    Carmen M Member Posts: 30
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes

My LO receives care from the VA Geriatrics Team and they have been tremendous. They have provided all the necessary equipment for his care (ie.... walker, wheelchair, grab bars, adult diapers, pads for bed, PT, OT, and so much more). Yes contact the social worker for Geriatrics and they will provide the resources that you need. I was recently approved for the Caregiver Assistance Program so now I am considered his legal caregiver. I am authorized 30 days of respite care thru the VA at no cost along with unrecalled weeks of respite care in a skilled nursing facility. Also, as being a part of the Caregiver Assistance Program, I am given a stipend which I will use to pay for additional home health care as needed.

Since your husband is 100% disabled, you will qualify for many benefits.

Good luck

• cavenson
    cavenson Member Posts: 31
    25 Likes 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions

These discussions related to Veterans Assistance are encouraging, but I'm still a bit confused. My DH, who retired from the Navy after 21 years, recently signed up with Veterans Affairs. He's been assigned a primary care provider and has his initial visit in a couple of weeks. He'll also submit a claim for compensation, but I don't know if he'll qualify. He's been diagnosed with Alzheimer's after a PET scan earlier this year and was diagnosed with MCI 6 years ago. What can we expect to happen at this initial doctor's visit, and is there anything we should do to ensure the Alzheimer's is documented so that we'll be eligible for services when they are needed? Some have mentioned a VA Social Worker--how do you get assigned to one? Note: We live in Virginia and a new VA Clinic opening next year is just a couple of miles from our home. Any advice you can provide would be appreciated.

• marier
    marier Member Posts: 58
    Sixth Anniversary 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments

I would ask the primary Dr. for a referral to the geriatric social worker. I initially was not aware of all the benefits the VA provided until the primary Dr. (NP) approved scripts for bed, adult depends, wchair etc... and then did a referral to the social worker. The social worker contacted me the next day.

I also know that some of the speciality providers at the VA are not aware of all the services provided.

If you have issues with the claim for compensation then I would discuss with one of the service organizations.

• ThisLife
    ThisLife Member Posts: 254
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I don't know if this is true for all VA facilities, but the Tampa location has a Geriatric PCPs.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more