Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Enter Stage 8: our AD journey has ended

My amazing and beautiful DW passed away early this morning in her sleep. She looked peaceful as she left this earth.

As prepared as I thought I was—heck, we’ve had hospice care for three months—I find myself shocked though not surprised. How odd the tricks our minds play.

It hurts, deeply, knowing I will never see her beautiful blue eyes again. I know I will be OK…eventually….but I miss my DW something awful. Of course, I have been missing her for years.

I am grateful for so many things. I am grateful that her suffering is over, and that she will not face the awful ravages of stage 7. I am grateful that, with the exceptional care of loving aides who have been on this journey with me for five years, I could keep my DW home all the way to the end. And I am grateful, enormously grateful, for all of the wise and loving counsel and shared experiences I have been fortunate to share in on this incomparable forum. You are extraordinarily giving and generous people and I wish you all well as you continue on your journeys.

Comments

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

Jeff - I am so sorry for this sad news, though we know it is coming for all of our LOs (and all of us eventually). You have been such a loving and giving husband to your beloved wife, caregiving so tenderly and ensuring her safe passage. May the joys of your life together remain a blessed memory and the challenges of this phase fade in time.

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,716
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Jeff my friend....words fail. I am so glad you had the help you needed to keep her with you all the way through. Peace to you and all of your family.

• Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 682
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary

So sorry for your loss. Whenever I read a post about someone's LO having passed, I feel quite envious but also relief for the poster. There is a quiet grace in the death of someone suffering, that the suffering is over. May your days ahead be peaceful and may you live well!

• charley0419
    charley0419 Member Posts: 354
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Jeff I’ve just meant you for for time but my heart goes out you. It’s hard for me to get head around my DW will get worse as since diagnosis was yr ago it’s short memory and confused at times

• tigersmom
    tigersmom Member Posts: 196
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Jeff, so very sorry for the loss of your beloved DW. I wish you peace and comfort in the memories of better days.

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 798
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I’m very sorry for the loss of your dear wife.

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,404
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

Jeff, I’m sorry for your loss. I hope the memory of those blue eyes gives you comfort as you deal with everything from now on.

• Jeanne C.
    Jeanne C. Member Posts: 805
    500 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

You have been a great caregiver and so devoted to your wife. You will be in my thoughts. I hope you find peace. Be kind to yourself and keep practicing gratitude. Take care.

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Jeff I’m glad her passing was peaceful and now she is free of this horrible disease. I pray for peace, strength and comfort for you and your family in the coming days. Take care of yourself now!

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,010
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

Jeff, I am so so sorry to hear of your dear wife’s passing. You were such a devoted husband and did so much to make her journey through this awful disease as peaceful and filled with love as possible. You kept her at home with you and were there until the end. Blessings and peace to you and your family.

• LJCHR
    LJCHR Member Posts: 193
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

So sorry for the loss of your wife.

• CindyBum
    CindyBum Member Posts: 268
    250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I'm so sorry, Jeff.

• Vitruvius
    Vitruvius Member Posts: 322
    100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

It saddens me greatly each time I read of someone's LO passing. Peace and strength in the days ahead.

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,674
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Jeff, I am so very sorry for the loss of your dear wife.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,359
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

I am sorry for the loss of your dear wife.

HB

• Davegrant
    Davegrant Member Posts: 203
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Jeff,

I am sorry for the loss of your wife. I wish you well.

Dave

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Jeff, I am so sorry to read of the passing of your wife. You has been an amazing caregiver and she was blessed to have you by her side. I hope you can find some peace as you transition to stage 8. Be kind to yourself my friend.

• A. Marie
    A. Marie Member Posts: 118
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Sympathy and best wishes from one Stage 8 member to another, Jeff. Your words capture so many of my own feelings--especially the part about never being as prepared for a spouse's physical death as we think we are.

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 835
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

I am so sorry. May God give you peace and restoration.

• ​fesk
    ​fesk Member Posts: 440
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

I am very sorry for your loss.

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Jeff so sorry for your loss and that she is suffering anymore. May Gods peace be with you in this time and in all the times when grief is too much.

• Caro_Lynne
    Caro_Lynne Member Posts: 346
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions First Anniversary

May your DW rest in peace. I pray that you find comfort in the fact you were there for her until the end xo

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,761
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Thank you for letting us know. We share your sadness...especially those of us in Stage 8.

Please remember that we are still here to lean on and please do not listen to anyone who tells you what you should do or feel. Grief is personal. You will have to live with it your way. At first it can consume. In time it will simply walk quietly by your side.

Sending a viral shoulder.

Fondly....Judith

• Palmetto Peg
    Palmetto Peg Member Posts: 187
    Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Likes

Jeff, I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your dear wife. We all know the "grief and relief" that comes with the passing of someone suffering as she did. I hope you can find peace and comfort knowing that you were everything to her until the very end. Best wishes that you and your family can keep the good memories in your hearts.

• midge333
    midge333 Member Posts: 291
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

I am sorry for your loss.

• JoseyWales
    JoseyWales Member Posts: 602
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Jeff, I am so very sorry for your loss. This disease only ends one way... but it's still so hard.

May you remember the good times.

• Kibbee
    Kibbee Member Posts: 229
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

Condolences on the loss of your dear wife. May you find peace in remembering happier times together.

• Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Dear Jeff,

I am so sorry to learn of your loss. I have long admired your strength and tenacity in caring for your DW at home. That was my plan; it didn’t come to fruition. Stage 8 can be dark, cold and dreary, but with time, things get better, little, by little, by little. I am thinking of you, your family, and your DH and praying for all of you. Peace, and brighter days ahead.

• mrahope
    mrahope Member Posts: 528
    Fourth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

So sorry to hear of this. I'm sure so many emotions are alive in you now. May the memory of the good times enrich your life always.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more