Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

When the marriage was not good.

I am embarrassed about my title, but it is my truth and I have to find out if I am alone in my situation. In my family it has always been that when we get old, the veil of self-delusion about our lives lifts, and we are faced with our truths. My husband of 38 years has been the absolute love of my life, I have remained IN LOVE with him all these years, even now. But last year I was slammed with the reality that I had married a figment of my imagination. My husband has what some call "Factor X", a level of natural charm and charisma so powerful that few can escape its influence. The marriage has been exciting- and emotionally empty. We travelled the world, started businesses, and he was incapable of ANY emotional connection. Before we met, I had a measure of fame due to my art and a full life. I now see that love was a one-way street. A very lonely painful life for me. He was diagnosed 5 years ago with Alzheimer's and is at Stage 6.5. We just started Home Hospice and fortunately he is still fairly cognizant but needs help with everything. He is very healthy physically. As a result of this marriage, of loving and not being loved back, I feel invisible. i have not stopped loving him. We never had children or friends because we were always working, so I am facing this journey, and its consequences alone. My question is, am I alone in this situation of a complex, unhappy marriage? If you share this experience, can you tell me how you regained your life? Or didn't? Thank you.

Comments

• charley0419
    charley0419 Member Posts: 354
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

your breaking my heart. Last nite I sat down with DW and tried to explain to her what’s going on. She’s stage 3 but really not bad other than short term memory and confused a lot.has anosognosia. It was tuff conversation but I feel in a week I’ll have to do again

• CindyBum
    CindyBum Member Posts: 268
    250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Dogsaremylife, I think you will see in reading here that you are not alone. I hope some respond. I'm not quite in the same place, though I do wonder at times.

I know that in my marriage that I've always wondered if my DW is in love with me like I am with her. Her family has always taken up so much of her time and I know I was not often the top priority for her. If her family asked her to do anything, she would drop me like a hot potato to satisfy them. Yet, I still somehow know she's the love of my life and I've put up with being second fiddle to a large, domineering family that she is bonded with in a really weird and excessive way. It was hard enough to face while she was cognizant, but now with Stage 4, I'm finding myself really questioning that love. But, I also do know she loves me back and has a set of behaviors built from early, ugly childhood wounding.

I don't think it's unusual for many of us to wonder now, as we put our lives on hold and pour out a remarkable amount of love and energy toward our SOs, about how balanced our marriages/partnerships have really been.

• Dogsaremylife
    Dogsaremylife Member Posts: 46
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

The difference between you and my husband is that YOU have found the ability and awareness to see what your wife wanted and needed, and you are giving it to her now. My husband, even if he never got Alzheimer's, would never have come to that place. His whole life was defined by living for himself. He has children he has not seen in 40 years, nor do they want to see him. He was not deliberately being cold and distant, he just is that way. At first I thought the lack of emotion or caring was because he had done 4 tours of combat duty in Vietnam and spent 20 years in the Marine Corps, and maybe he was emotionally broken, but others told me he has been this way from childhood. I truly believe, even in her Alzheimer's, your wife feels what you are giving her now. Those things transcend cognizance. You are a good man.

• planetamy
    planetamy Member Posts: 6
    First Anniversary 5 Care Reactions First Comment

Oh my God, all of this plus kids. I am so sorry you're in this position and so grateful that I'm not the only one. My husband and I finally had an honest conversation about how our marriage had gone -- just in time for the Alzheimers to kick in and now it's all coming back. The flashes of irritability and lashing out for no reason. Great, I really want to go through this shit again - not!

Plus Ive got the one kid who is completely oblivious to his behavior, and the other kid who is mad as a hornet about it. They are in their 20s and have zero life experience to process any of this.

is it too horrible to say that honestly Im glad he has early onset because its over faster? Probably, but Im saying it anyway.

• Dogsaremylife

It is only natural to wish this would all be over. I am sure we are not the only ones to sometimes have that thought. I know that if I were in my husband's condition I would want to go as fast as possible. But consistent with his personality, he has said in the past that he would be just fine laying in a bed with people waiting on him, "feeding him pablum" (his words). The single biggest factor in allowing the huge emotional void in my married life is that my husband endured 7 years of combat in Vietnam. He was a hero and endured the unendurable. Early on I had been with him during several horrific flashbacks and my respect and sorrow for what he went through is branded on my soul. He rose through the ranks and ended up working briefly with Reagan. But had I known the future emptiness I would have respected my own need to be loved and I would have walked away. Life is weird, isn't it? I am so happy you have children. What a blessing!

• housefinch
    housefinch Member Posts: 360
    100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions

I’m sure you’re not alone from those who have posted. Some of us also have parents or other loved ones with dementia or who are dementia caregivers whose behavior now is a repeat of difficult behaviors we witnessed in childhood. I’m sorry your situation has been hard. You’re definitely not alone in having a more complex, challenging situation.

• ThisLife
    ThisLife Member Posts: 254
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Similar situation. Showed up for birth of two sons and picked me up when discharged. DDIL helped me through hysterectomy and double mastectomy. Went to first chemo session (every three weeks for 15months) and asked if he had to take me each time. We were living in AZ when he retired from AF. I had a teaching position. He had a sales job requiring travel for 15 months; never earned a dime. Called me from NV that he had taken a job with a company that also had locations in AZ. Told me I could move up there with him. Financially more feasible to stay married. We lived parallel lives each doing our own thing. We had LTC insurance, and I placed him 9/1. I visit one a week. And now I have my life back.

• Dogsaremylife

I can't tell you how much you all have helped me. After feeling like a "Stranger in a Stange Land" for so long it makes me feel, once again, like a part of the human race. I hope I can hang on to this feeling. It's been like an out-of-control roller coaster ride emotionally, slamming from viewing my husband with hidden anger, to feeling the depths of my love for him. When I was 25, I went out to lunch with a girlfriend at a Chinese restaurant. After a pleasant meal with fun conversation, I opened my fortune cookie. It said "He will love you as much as he can, but it will not be very much". I put that fortune in my purse and have kept it ever since. Thank you everyone.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more