Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Just sharing

JC5
JC5 Member Posts: 164
100 Care Reactions Second Anniversary 25 Likes 10 Comments

Always something new! I’ve seen changes in DH over the past few months. Short term deficits- not remembering the next day the surprise 50th party our kids gave us , not remembering doing things or going places or seeing doctors. He’s also been closing all the blinds and drapes and doors in the house and doesn’t realize he’s sitting in a dark room watching TV! He’s also started saving those plastic clips that close bread bags - we might need them! He doesn’t really engage in conversation. Took him to lunch and yay waitress sat us in the middle of the room for all to see. He just sat there looking around. I ended up having a conversation with myself to make it look like we were enjoying ourselves! What a life! Never boring for sure .

Comments

• charley0419
    charley0419 Member Posts: 354
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

It is what it is. A terrible illness

• Whyzit
    Whyzit Member Posts: 156
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 5 Likes

Yes it does become more interesting and puzzling as time goes on. Some of these quirks are harmless but others can become dangerous. My DH recently started secretly using our kitchen sink as a urinal and even though he is tall (6’5”) he isn’t tall enough to do so without soiling the cabinetry as well. Now I get to clean the kitchen as well as the bathroom before I use them. He really belongs in memory care and would be there except Medicaid doesn’t cover memory care and he is too healthy to be in full time nursing care.

• ghphotog
    ghphotog Member Posts: 667
    500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I feel your dilemma. I take my DW to eat all of the time but I really try to get an outside booth. Nothing worse than being in public if there is some sort of meltdown. We never go out during peak times or weekends, especially if we have to wait for a booth, and always go around 3p as that is the quietest times in most restaurants.

By the way, I save the plastic clips to because I'm always setting them down but can never find them again. 😀

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more