Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

New to group

Hello, My wife age 56 was just diagnosed with early onset. This past several months I held her as we both cried and she stated 'I don't know what is happening to me' She is aware of her condition at this time which is very hard for her. Where is the best place for her to get support and connect with others in the same situation? Here on this board? We are currently living out of the country so the option of in person meetings in USA won't happen for 3-4 months.

Comments

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Pietas, exactly what is she aware of? The majority of PWDs (persons with dementia) are unaware of the true nature of dementia. This is called anosognosia. If she really understands her prognosis, there is an approach to take. There are steps that may prolong the early stages. She can post here, on the two boards for patients. There are not a lot of patients posting, but there are some. You can also post on the Spouse/Partner board for more answers.

Iris

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney