Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Medicare Rules for spousal income of non ALZ spouse

Pietas61
Pietas61 Member Posts: 20
10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

This forum is a life saver. So much to think about I had not considered. We just recieved an early stage diagnosis for my wife this past week. We retired outside of the USA over a year ago to the beautiful coast of Ecuador. We will be moving back to USA within 3-6 months. We are Alaskan residents and do not want to return there if at all possible. I am 62 and she is 56. I am not collecting SS yet as I thought she would outlive me and wanted her to get the max survivors benefit at my age 67 of $3500 a month or so. I will be filing for her SSDI soon. I am looking at WA,AZ,UT,NV,TX & FL (mostly no income tax States) as we want to establish residence someplace warm. This site gave me a big eye opener per a members feedback. I have a decent defined benefit pension. About to add a bit more with another defined benefit 1/24. My wife has zero pension income and a small 401k. What is the best state mentioned above that will not consider MY home, my car, my retirement income and only consider her income for medicaid eligibility ? This will be a huge decider for me of what State we live in. Is there an entity or person whom I could contact to assist me in the best State vs financial situation where I am at to educate me?

Such a lesson in life I am having to live each day to the fullest with the ones I love.

Comments

• JJ401
    JJ401 Member Posts: 312
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

This was posted previously. It may help your search.

https://www.medicaidplanningassistance.org/state-specific-medicaid-eligibility/

• upstateAnn
    upstateAnn Member Posts: 103
    100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

To I know you are exploring tax implications, but be sure to check out what services you need. I live in NY and paid NY state taxes for a long time. I now am very happy at the services my state provides to caregivers.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,716
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

I would agree that the states without income tax are not necessarily the best in terms of Medicaid services. And to clarify, I think you mean Medicaid, not Medicare? Your income could affect her SSDI I suppose but would not impact her eligibility for Medicare. If she qualifies for SSDI, she will become eligible for Medicare shortly thereafter, which will help her for health insurance but not for long-term care.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more