Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

In-person Support Groups

Are there any in-person support groups in the Fort Lauderdale area where my DH can attend with me? Right now,I can't leave him alone and we haven't found any day care places (not that he is willing or ready to attend yet)

Comments

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,359
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

Maybe you should look for a Memory Cafe. Most IRL support groups do not have PWD attend as it would be difficult for the caregivers to speak freely if they were in the same space.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,716
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Welcome to the forum Janet. Your local council on aging or Alzheimer's Association chapter may have lists of local support groups, some memory care centers run them also. But i agree that the likelihood of finding one that he can attend is not high. This forum has frankly provided better support than either of two local groups i attended.

• PookieBlue
    PookieBlue Member Posts: 202
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions First Anniversary

I have a nearby memory care center that has an in person support group which meets for two hours every Wednesday morning. At no charge, I can leave my DH at their daycare to attend the meeting. Maybe there is a memory care center in your area offering something like that. It’s nice to be free of the responsibility of care giving and know my DH is safe. I wouldn’t want him in a meeting that is for support to the caregiver.

• ThisLife
    ThisLife Member Posts: 254
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I'm in central Florida. One of the MC places just started up daycare again since covid. Persons with dementia can attend that while we are in the meeting. Might be worth calling local MC places.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more