Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Symptoms and Stages of Dementia

Hi friends, it’s been a while since I checked in. DH is having issues sleeping. He thinks the neighbor is stealing things out of his man house and that they are taunting him and laughing at him. He also complains about being cold a lot, especially at night. The paranoia is not new. It has gotten way worse though. Could this be from the new medication, Namenda? Or is this part of the disease progression? Not sure what to do to help him other than try to distract him.

Another unrelated question: How do you know what stage of Alzheimer’s dementia your loved one is in? Does the doctor tell you?

Many thanks for your insights!

Comments

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 835
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

please see attached. Hope it helps. I would call the doctor and ask him to prescribe something for this behavior. I

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,716
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Antipsychotics like Seroquel or Risperidone can help with the delusions and with sleep fragmentation. Definitely call his doc.

• JanetCS
    JanetCS Member Posts: 6
    First Comment

Being paranoid is part of the disease. It’s so hard when they get so upset over something that’s not happening. I have had to confess to drinking his Dr Pepper or eating his nuts because he can’t remember eating them. He thought someone was sneaking in the house and getting them. Teepa Snow has a video about dealing with that. She is AMAZING and really helps. Google her videos on paranoia. Praying for you!!!!!❤️

• ghphotog
    ghphotog Member Posts: 667
    500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited November 2023

Could be part of the "hunter gathering" stage where they hoard or hide random items. Can be hard when they hide things like wedding rings, tv remotes, pictures, tissue paper. . . ect.

My DW has been seeing people that aren't there for a couple of years or more. She's always aking who is that man over there? Nobody there of course. This is day in and day out. She waves to imaginary people or screams and yell at them to get out. It's just a blanket on a chair or some other item she's misidentifing as a person. Or there could be nothing there.

Lately she has been having imaginary conversations, mostly when she is dozing off or sleeping. She'll be carrying on what seems like a rational conversation with nobody. Just part of the long, endless trek we are on.

Paranoia happens when my wife is sundowning. She becomes very afraid. That's also when she is most likely to sense something is wrong with her and that scares her even more.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more