Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

To Fight or Not To Fight?

First post and so much swirling around in my head. Some background:

DH is 14 years older than me. As far back as 2018, there were instances where I knew something was “off”. Everyone, including his PCP and close friends, just chalked it off to getting older. The pandemic and getting lyme’s disease exacerbated cognitive symptoms. This led to others being concerned and had enough evidence to share w/his new PCP who gave a Neuro referral. 

The neuro workup was done, PET scan done (showed areas of poor glucose uptake) Nov. 2022, called it MCI, prescribed Donepezil. 

Combination of lifestyle adjustments and the new medication helped for about a month and a half. After returning from a trip abroad, I found out that he had difficulty texting and was embarrassed to ask for help. What little hope/light I had seen in the previous month vanished.

In June, a neuropsychological eval was done and showed how much he was truly struggling. Observing the clock test and how difficult it was for him broke my heart. His excuse was, “I’m retired and don’t wear a watch anymore, I just look at my phone.” This past Aug. the neurologist reviewed the neuropsych eval and used the term Alzheimer’s for the first time. She said the best option for us now would be Leqembi. An appt. Was made…for Aug. 2024, and that was just for the consult and to see if he was a candiate. Since then, things have been progressing. It always seems like things speed up once you get a diagnosis.

At this point, family and friends have consistently offered information, tips, medical trials info, try this, fight the insurance company to cover leqembi, etc. I/we have accepted the hand that’s been dealt.  Since the spring, I would put him at around stage 4. He spends 80% of his day in the recliner playing games on ipad or using the coloring book app.

I am at a loss as to how to deal/handle “helpful advice”. I’ve gotten better at just simply saying, “Thanks, I’ll check it out.” It makes me feel like I’ve given up, or not fighting hard enough for him. Knowing what the end result of this disease is, it is difficult to make the decision for pushing/fighting to get leqembi expedited. Especially after reading an article that basically said it only  delays progression by a few months, plus possible side effects like brain bleeding and swelling. It would also entail travelling 3 hours away every 2 weeks to have the medication administered. How have you handled others’ input and treatment options? He is not angry, or agitated. The joyful person he was is fading away. I don’t want him to feel pain of any sort and at the same time, I don’t want to drag out the inevitable. 

Comments

• CindyBum
    CindyBum Member Posts: 268
    250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

For what it's worth, my DW's neurologist told us in that she felt like it was a drug with significant side effects with limited impact. She did not recommend it at all.

I want to honor the decision you two have made. You are the right ones to make it.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,716
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Welcome to the forum, you have come to a good place for support. I wouldn't hold my breath for the Lequembi to do much. If it's going to help, it's probably going to be much earlier than stage 4- and that's the catch-22, not to even mention the difficulties of travel and administration.

These relatively early days are the time to make sure your legal ducks are in a row, that you have a financial plan for long-term care, and for bucket lists. My partner and I took a wonderful 25th anniversary trip when she was stage 4 and also attended her 60th high school reunion, both of which were very memorable and are precious to me now.

I'm sorry you are facing this.

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 835
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

I think we all fight in the beginning. Even though we read that it is incurable and progressive. Perhaps our reactions are part of the grieve process we begin when we hear the diagnosis. I started out that way and then came to realize that our time was better spent having joyful experiences. I found that creating a peaceful and consistent environment was better for us. Like anything else, one must weigh the costs versus benefits of the time spent and impact on your spouse and you.

• Anna2022
    Anna2022 Member Posts: 165
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

@murpc76

Welcome to the site! I've found the lived experiences and suggestions posted here to be spot-on and super helpful. And the participants are so very kind and supportive!

In my experience, family and friends, unless they have direct experience with the dementias, are well-meaning with their advice but their advise is usually useless and usually annoys me. I try to say "thank you" for their concern and support and leave it at that. I've found that the more emotionally sophisticated friends/family eventually get it and start asking how they can help rather than offer unsolicited advice. Others just continue to be tone deaf. I've found that people show up as themselves in these situations and that I just have to let them be themselves. I observe and let them show me how they operate. I try not to judge.

The reality is that there is no cure for this yet. I have hope that the first person to be cured of this disease is out there - It just won't be my DH. That has been a bitter realization. I have started talk therapy (via zoom) to help me deal with the emotions that surface as we move forward on this journey. I used to talk things out with my DH but those days are gone.

Your story so far is a lot like mine and my DH. He refused initial testing for the first two years, then I finally got him evaluated, with MOCA and a MRI. Doc says MCI and offered medication but DH refused (as he has anosognosia and blames his memory/cognition issues on "I just have a 'I don't care' attitude" or I just don't give a sh**). The doc most recently was offering leqembi but our insurance won't pay for the specialized AMYLOID PETScan necessary to qualify. No matter, there is no way I could get DH to show/ agree to show for the appointments and labs necessary for the administration of this drug - every visit would be another struggle or argument. Plus, for us, the side-effects outweigh any possible help. We are still going forward with a PETScan FDG to help with a diagnosis - the insurance company will help pay for that. In the final analysis, we do the best we can in our particular situation. And that is good enough.

Keep posting - you never know who will benefit from your willingness to share your lived experience!

• Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

".......What I mostly feel is sadness when I pause and I see a good, kind human fade away. I then pick myself up and focus on making sure he is safe and feels loved. ...."

Welcome, murpc76, and I, too, am sorry you have joined this group. Your words struck my heart. My DH has passed after 11 1/2 years at home with me and then 17 months in a MCF. The journey was always one day at a time, one moment at a time, figure this out, face this challenge, solve this problem. I was so busy caregiving that looking back, the years actually flew by, but the constant was always the fading, the sadness, the inevitable. The sadness lingers still, especially in these days of early darkness and cold, with festivities on the horizon. Keep your optimistic outlook, stay busy and focused, make some memories and you will be okay. It will get better, I promise. Stay strong.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more