Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Early Onset Dementia

My husband was diagnosed with dementia about six months ago. How do you cope with this disease? I feel different on different days, sometimes anger, sometimes depression, sometimes so sad. Today I feel numb. I'm just so tired of his outbursts and his anger towards me, towards himself.

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,716
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Welcome to the forum.... you should definitely let his docs know about the anger. This is common, and family is usually the safe target--but, it can also get dangerous, and there may be medications that can help tamp it down. Don't not report it.

You have come to a good place for advice and support. There are a lot of very wise and experienced caregivers here. If you read a lot of threads, it can help you anticipate what challenges might be in your future.

• Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 682
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary

So sorry you have to be here. Ditto everything M1 said. There have been so many wise advise from posters who have been there, done that, so to speak. Please read them and arm yourself with knowledge. Or just come here to vent. We understand.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more