Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Early onset housing options

I am a bit at a loss moving forward as there are numerous options. My wife was just diagnosed with early onset so we will be moving back to USA. I am 62 she is 56. It appears most Alzheimers patients statistically age in place at home as long as they can. I need to find us a home soon in USA and will sell our small condominium overseas as soon as I am able. I don't know if the best option is a small/med single story townhouse/condominium and pay for in home care and/or have the room for 24hr live in help. Or look at independent living with memory care and assisted living. An eye opener on this site is that my wife is bilingual and may revert someday back to Spanish so I am looking at Spanish diverse communities. I should have access to decently priced domestic help in some of these communities. What housing situation to stay together do people find works best, or at least tolerable, or wish they would have done in hindsight to stay together?

Comments

• LJCHR
    LJCHR Member Posts: 193
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

My DH was diagnosed in August 2021. We moved into independent living and totally love it. There is no memory care with it but we will have to cross that bridge if we come to it.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more