Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

He’s free

My beloved husband died this morning 4:30 am to join our deceased cats and his sisters. I hope he is surrounded by all kinds of plants, flowers, friendly cats and his family.

He only survived 5 days in long term care, I went to see him yesterday and his breathing was very ragged. I got the phone call that he passed.

I am so happy he is free and no longer suffering from this shitty disease. I know he is happy to be free of his weakened, thin and wracked body.

Now I must navigate the world without my best friend and biggest fan, the feeling was mutual. I feel like half my heart is gone, the pain is unreal. Now I walk alone.

Comments

• midge333
    midge333 Member Posts: 291
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

I am sorry for your loss.

• JC5
    JC5 Member Posts: 164
    100 Care Reactions Second Anniversary 25 Likes 10 Comments

So sorry for your loss. I’ve read your posts and they have been such a help to me so I thank you. May you find peace in knowing your DH is at rest . You have been through a long journey.

• BethL
    BethL Member Posts: 838
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

So sorry for your loss.

• LJCHR
    LJCHR Member Posts: 193
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

So sorry for your loss. May you find strength and peace as you walk thru this new journey. Hugs and prayers for your healing.

• Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Buggs, I am so very sorry. So much work and perseverance on your part and then….. such a sudden loss. I wish you peace and rest in the coming future and may your indefatigable sense of humor never let you down. Please don’t become a stranger; visit often. ❤️

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,716
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Buggsroo i am sorry for your loss but glad that the suffering is ended, for both of you.

• ThisLife
    ThisLife Member Posts: 254
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I'm so sorry for your loss and pain. You have been on a long journey as a very loving and caring DW. Your husband has his peace. May your journey to your peace begin. (Hugs)

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Oh Buggs, I’m sorry for the pain you are feeling,it seems that no matter how much we think we are prepared it still hurts like hell. I am glad for your husband to be free from this disease from hell. To just think about all different kinds of plants,flowers he will get to see, friends to visit with and family and yes the cats! I pray for peace for you and strength for all you will face. But lady you are one of the strongest ladies out there and in time to regain your humor! God be with you my friend! I learned a lot from you!

• Razduck
    Razduck Member Posts: 13
    Third Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

My heart hurts for you in your time of loss. My hope is that his spirit will soar, free from the bonds from Alzheimer's. I wish for you the healing that you need. May you and your family be forever blessed and comforted. 🙏🏻

• housefinch
    housefinch Member Posts: 360
    100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions

I’m so terribly sorry. I hope you can get some well deserved rest and that eventually happy memories will bring you some comfort.

• loveskitties
    loveskitties Member Posts: 1,073
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

No matter how greatly we are that our loved on is no longer suffering, the loss is still great.

Please try to remember the best of times you two shared and hold them close to your heart.

Wishing you comfort at this difficult time.

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,404
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

I’m sorry for your loss and the pain you are feeling. Please rest. Do whatever feels good for you in the moment. Whether that’s sleep, read, binge watch TV or go somewhere.

• GothicGremlin
    GothicGremlin Member Posts: 839
    Fifth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

@Buggsroo I'm so sorry for the loss of your DH.

I hope he is now surrounded by lots of plants, many friendly cats, and his family.

Please take care of yourself.

• ghphotog
    ghphotog Member Posts: 667
    500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I'm so sorry.

• storycrafter
    storycrafter Member Posts: 273
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Very sad to hear. A huge loss for which there are no words. Wishing you reassurance, peace, comfort, and strength.

• PookieBlue
    PookieBlue Member Posts: 202
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions First Anniversary

Im so sorry for your loss. Such a difficult journey to travel. Now is your time to heal. Do the things that comfort you and find blessings each day.

• CStrope
    CStrope Member Posts: 487
    100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I believe I joined the group shortly before you, and over the past 2+ years I have read many posts of those transitioning to Stage 8. Sending you hugs and good thoughts for the days that lie ahead. There will be days of sorrow, and hopefully days where you remember so many wonderful things.

• Jgirl57
    Jgirl57 Member Posts: 468
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

So sorry for your pain. You have made us all laugh, cry, and learn from your experience . Peace and hugs .

• Elshack
    Elshack Member Posts: 238
    Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Deepest Sympathy to you ! My DH died on Nov 24th at 4:45 and I am thinking he and your DH may be meeting each other and saying," Didn't we both have such fabulous wives? " I followed your journey and you were amazing in your care and patience with your DH. May you find peace and solace in the days ahead. You were a warrior for sure!

• Elshack
    Elshack Member Posts: 238
    Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

I just read your comment on my post about my DH's death. Thank you. Like you I will have to learn to forge ahead without my best buddy and love of my life.

• Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 682
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary

Buggs, so sorry to hear. Your pain is heartfelt. Please be comforted somewhat in knowing that your husband is no longer suffering, and that while your grief seems overwhelming at the moment, it, too, shall pass. May you have bright days ahead! Take care.

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,010
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

I am so sorry for your loss. Your journey was a difficult one but you endured it with grace and love. May the coming months bring you peace and memories of happier times.

• michiganpat
    michiganpat Member Posts: 140
    100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions Second Anniversary

So sorry for your loss. Your husband is at peace now. Blessings to you.

• Davegrant
    Davegrant Member Posts: 203
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Buggsroo,

So Sorry for your loss, you traveled a hard road, thanks for sharing it with us.

Dave

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,359
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

I am so sorry for the loss of your dear husband.

HB

• Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Buggsroo, Heartfelt condolences on your DH’s passing—a mere 4 days after my DW. I’m sure it will fade some in time, but the grief is palpable, physical, painful. Like you, I’ve lost my best friend. I lost her a long time ago, but still need to learn how to walk alone.

Perhaps those of us who have recently arrived at Stage 8 can walk together for a piece, metaphorically speaking. I hope in time memories of better days surround you and diminish the agony of these last challenging years.

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 835
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

I am so sorry. Even though he is free, I know your pain is unbearable at this time. The fact that he is whole and healthy and with his beloved pets and family is something to imagine during this painful time.

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 798
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I’m so sorry for the loss of your husband. Prayers for peace and comfort during this difficult time and hope for the journey.

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

My sincere condolences on the loss of your husband. May you find some peace in the days ahead.

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 850
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

Dear Buggs, My heart goes out to you at this sad time. I’m so sorry. Wish I could be there in person to hold your hand and give you a hug. Sending love and prayers.

Brenda

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney