Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Be Careful about Moving

A little over a year ago, my DH and I were living in South Carolina. My husband started exhibiting symptoms of dementia, but I just didn't realize how far along he was. He insisted that he wanted to move back to NJ where he would be near his brother and other family. I gave in and agreed, and it has been a disaster. His brother wants no part of a family member who might need care along the way, and after golf season ended here, there is nothing for my husband to do. He is anxious and depressed and has slipped considerably in both his memory and his mood. So, we are moving again. This time I insisted that we do it my way, and we are moving to a Continuing Care Retirement Community, but all of the moving work is mine again. Do not let your loved one try to persuade you that a move will end their symptoms and/or anxiety and depression. He just packed that up and brought it with him here. I am sure our next move will be a better one, but the work involved in moving is not something to take lightly. Do not let your loved one, or your need for family support, to convince you that moving will solve anything. It does not! Move to where you feel is best, not where they imagine that life will be better! It doesn't work!!!

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,716
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

What a lot of work for you Peg, I'm sorry. Hope this next one is worth it and will provide the support that You need as the caregiver.

• terei
    terei Member Posts: 570
    Seventh Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

This is another example of allowing the PWD to have input on decision making. It is very hard to come to acceptance when they are no longer able to come to well reasoned, logical conclusions on most, if not all subjects. When I initially felt that mom should be included in decision making that affected her, it inevitably caused strife + conflict between us when it became clear that mentally she was not competent

• annewilder
    annewilder Member Posts: 25
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

We have considered moving from SC to TN to be bear our one child, an adult male. I worked with a CCRC there and with a private consultant. They, separately, advised that such move might be too difficult for my husband and that he might decline further if we made the move so we are still in out hometown. He is in Memory care 4 miles from home. Son flies in every 4-6 weeks for 4-7 days at a time. Right now this is the best for us.

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,404
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

It’s sort of damned if you do, damned if you don’t sort of decision. Many people do move to be near family members - but that doesn’t work if those family members won’t help when you get there. As a family member, I needed to move my parents back near me because my life was here and I couldn’t help them from 12.5 hours away.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more