Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Pedicure tips

This morning DH complained about a hole in his sock hurting him. I told him to take it off and gave him another. With the sock off, I was stunned at how long his toenails have grown. Up until recently, he was keeping up with this himself. That ship has apparently sailed... a while ago, while I wasn't looking. So tomorrow after his shower, I will be trimming those nails. He freaks out about everything and I expect that he will give me a hard time. Does anyone have any tips for making it easier for me and less traumatic for him?

Comments

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,359
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

Maybe a podiatrist?

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,716
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

agree, I would absolutely have a podiatrist do it. This is their bread and butter...they have the right tools.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,761
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

a bribe...something for after the trim might be easier than a trip to the Dr.

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

DW always went for mani/pedis but at some point she started being resistant to her nails being trimmed period, whether at the Solon or by me at home. My solution was to wait until she was asleep and then do her nails. I needed to be very careful because she might move around while I was clipping the nails but I was able to get it down. I should note that she was on seroquil at the time so she sleep pretty sound after taking her evening dose.

• CStrope
    CStrope Member Posts: 487
    100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

My DH has severe hammer toes, so even trying to hold his toes so that I can cut the nails leads to screams of pain. It's not a fun job, but if I do it right after his shower, and rub lotion on, etc. to make it feel super good, I can usually get them cut. I know that there are people at most local nursing care facilities that have either a staff member or someone in town that they utilize for such things. You could ask them who they use.

• JDancer
    JDancer Member Posts: 453
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Make sure your tools are up to the task and soak the feet in the tub or a basin. It can be a challenge.

If they're too much, a podiatrist might be needed. I had chemotherapy many years ago and my toenails became thick due to fungus (TMI, sorry). A podiatrist had to cut them.

I currently provide nail care for my DH. It's just another chore...

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

I also do my dh’s nails. Even after showering him his toe nails are still hard. So I sit him in his recliner, get a dish pan with water watch (I also add a little bit of dawn dish soap) have him soak his feet while I do his finger nails. I put his favorite tv show (gun smoke) on. I have a tray table in front of him with a package of his favorite cookies and a glass of chocolate milk (he loves chocolate milk) . All of this keeps him occupied. I did ask a friend that works for a podiatrist what kind of clippers would be good to get. They are not cheap but boy do they work great! My only problem is after being in the floor for a while it’s hard to get up!!

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,010
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

I’ve been doing my DH’s nails for a couple years. Heavy duty clippers for toenails make it easier. After a shower when nails are softer, or after taking off slippers. I often clip them while changing his pull-ups, sitting on the floor. Or while he’s watching tv. If he isn’t feeling patient, I continue later or the next day. It becomes part of the routine after a while and not a big deal. (Joydean, my getting up from sitting on the floor is the hardest part.)

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,359
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

Another option is that once you have the cut, is to use a coarse nail file on them every day or two to maintain the length if your PWD will cooperate.

HB

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited December 2023

Distraction is the key for us too - while he reclines, I play some old school TV or music video he likes. And I may clip mine too, so it's like "we're doing this now", instead of me doing something "to" him. Generally, DH lets me clip his nails, with no problem.

Also, for a short time, Medicare sent a traveling podiatrist who makes home visits monthly. We requested it through his hospice nurse but any PCP or other doc could provide the referral, I think. They checked his feet due to some swelling and toe pain he was having (I think he just stubbed it, but at the time I wanted to be sure there was no ingrown toenail or infection or something else starting) and he also had developed a little callus (sp?) on the heel. Like you, I hadn't checked in a while especially since he is a sponge-bather only no soaking in a bath or showering in years but very clean due to wipe downs and lotion galore. I didn't feel comfortable removing it myself and also just wanted a med opinion in case it was a pressure sore starting. It wasn't thank goodness.

The traveling podiatrist (and assistant). pronounced him fine... but they clipped his nails, filed them with the little drill, were careful to explain the little noise before starting the drill, etc. I think they were in and out of our home in 15 minutes each time. I just discontinued it after 3-4 visits since I think there may be a bill somewhere adding up, floating unpaid and that didn't make sense to me. They said no, and never billed him any co-pay, but the e-signature on ipad option, etc. didn't reassure me and it isn't something he needs medically so...

• tigersmom
    tigersmom Member Posts: 196
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Thanks, everyone, for all your helpful suggestions. I thought I'd follow up with an update. I tried to keep it simple the first time. After we showered, I asked him to sit on the edge of the bed with his feet flat on the floor. I spoke gently to him as I clipped each nail (took only a few minutes). When I finished, he thanked me and asked asked me to clip some fingernails, too. Such a mystery, this disease. I can never be sure what's going to set him off. This time went fine, but I am sure all your suggestions will come in handy as we move down this unstoppable path.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more