Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Neurologist visit questions

I am bringing my DH to a new neurologist tmrw. He is in the early stage of Alzheimer’s, and has already been evaluated by a neuropsych. Any suggestions on questions to ask, tests that should be done (CT scan suggested), other advice?

Comments

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,749
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Assuming that a diagnosis has been made following correct and current procedure I would head to possible clarification of what kind of dementia.

A report of your concerns and behavior seen given for the Dr to read before the appt would be in order and very helpful to said Dr.

The "variety" is important as to what drugs are used.

• LindaLouise
    LindaLouise Member Posts: 94
    100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes 10 Comments

I would recommend the report of your concerns and also your observations, along with making sure any scans or imaging that has been done are forwarded to the doctor ahead of your visit. When we changed neurologists, it took longer then we had planned to get everything to the new office. I also agree that determining what kind of dementia is important, to make sure the correct meds are prescribed as needed in the future and also understand the symptoms. We are still working our way toward that, and the MRI we forwarded was helpful for the doctor to determine next steps - in our case a PET scan.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more