Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Question severe difficulty walking.

My DH has started shuffling when walking. His ability to walk has severely declined rather rapidly in the last few months. His gate is unstable snd takes baby steps. If anyone can share their experience. I am not sure what to do and if there is any help or therapy. Is this part of the Disease? Thanks for sharing.

Comments

• Jgirl57
    Jgirl57 Member Posts: 468
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I think it is part of the disease. The doctor asks each time we go if I am seeing my HWD/Alz shuffle. So far he does not , but he does sort of scuff his feet. We did PT for a short time but he still does not fully pick up his feet. Be sure to mention the physical decline to the doctor

• Pat6177
    Pat6177 Member Posts: 442
    100 Likes Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions

My DH has had gait issues for the last 2 years. He starts walking faster and more onto his toes and hunched forward and says he can’t slow down. I’ve just recently realized that he only does this when we walk outside. When we go to the grocery store or another place where there’s a shopping cart that he can push, he doesn’t have these episodes. He also complains of feeling woozy and wobbly and that’s all the time now and inside and outside. And he does shuffle his feet and scuff his feet, more so when he’s inside. I’ve told his PCP who tested his balance and wow, he can touch his nose. And I told the neuro NP. No one knows and they don’t get too excited because he looks fine to them. I do believe that it is part of his dementia. But do tell his medical provider since it could be something else. My DH’s PCP has given him a referral to PT but DH refused to go. And she gave us the name of a person in town that is like a personal trainer for people with dementia but he refused to go.

• Razduck
    Razduck Member Posts: 13
    Third Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

Brokenhearted, I’m so sorry that you’re going through this with your DH. I too am struggling through almost exactly the same thing with my DW. Her walking has also degraded over the past 6-8 month, but has increased quickly over the last 2-3 months. Her neurologist believes that it part of the disease progression. Over the last 2 weeks she has fallen four times. Her first fall was just out of the blue and resulted in two fractures in her ankle joint. She’s going to be in a removable boot/cast for 4-6 weeks until it fully heals. Thankfully, she will likely avoid surgical repair. This has just made things much more difficult. Her walking is limited even further due to the fractures so I hope and pray that she heals up very quickly. 🙏🏻💕🙏🏻

• LJCHR
    LJCHR Member Posts: 193
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

I believe it's part of the disease. My DH started shuffling about a year ago. I hold his hand (and he reaches for mine) everywhere we go. He hurt his knee a few months ago so I was able to buy a walker and he used it during that time. I believe that we will have to go back to the walker in the coming months, but the introduction to him helped to make the transition.

• ghphotog
    ghphotog Member Posts: 667
    500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

My DW has been taking baby steps for years and walks very slowly but I wouldn't say she is "shuffling" yet. Her depth perception is very degraded and she needs help with the smallest of curbs or steps.

Shuffling is part of Alz in the later stages I beleive. Might be good to let your neuro know how quickly this happened to rule out other things that could be affecting his gate. Probably just the disease.

• Ernie123
    Ernie123 Member Posts: 152
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Insightfuls Reactions

My DW went through a two year phase of shuffling, then leaning forward and falling. Many falls, no serious injuries. An OT assessment led to a walker, but she would forget to use it constantly. That was a few years ago. She is now in the final stage of the disease, in a wheel chair and requires a mechanical lift to get onto the bed for rest or personal care. Unfortunately, as others have pointed out, the shuffling and balance problems are just part of disease progression and are very difficult to deal with. Having an OT assessment for a mobility aid or other changes you could make in your environment may be worthwhile.

I have noticed when my DW is exhibiting more pronounced physical symptoms there also appears to be poorer cognitive function. The good days, bad days cycle is still occurring. Now, on a bad day, she leans forward in her wheelchair and cannot sit up. She needs to be fed but it is difficult due to her position. She is verbally non responsive. The next day, a good day, she may be sitting up, smiles, able to feed herself ( with a big bib! ) and can respond to questions with appropriate words or phrases. This pattern has been in place for months, although the degree and frequency of bad days is increasing.

My theory is that as the brain loses function in one group of cells others may take over creating the cycle. Just my theory.

Good luck, this disease is so challenging for the patient and the caregiver.

• Kevcoy
    Kevcoy Member Posts: 129
    Fourth Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

I am so glad to read the comments here. It has to be part of the disease. It has been over a year since my DH started to shuffle when walking and it's getting worse. When he is standing he gets more on his toes and I notice his knees going back and forth like he is revving up his legs to start walking. Then the steps are only inches long shuffling his shoes along the ground. I agree with Pat6177 that using a shopping cart the walking is easier just a lot slower.

• Razduck

I recently came across this video from Dr. Natali Edmonds regarding Surprising Symptoms of Dementia Part 1. In this video she talks about Muscle Weakness and that it’s a surprising symptom in a certain number of Dementia patients. Please watch the whole video or just the referenced section, beginning at the 3:00 minute mark of this informative video.

https://youtu.be/tX45ewFt3HA?si=ePZ08S53D7mVPRqy

• Vitruvius
    Vitruvius Member Posts: 322
    100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

My DW went through all this, she is now in Stage 7 and completely immobile and confined to a wheelchair and bed.

Originally we walked several miles almost every day. As her dementia progressed she had more issues walking. Mainly she would not pick up her feet enough and finally tripped on an uneven sidewalk, breaking her wrist. The neurologist referred her to physical therapy twice. But this proved futile, PT is meant to help people strengthen their muscles and get more coordinated. With dementia her muscle strength was not the problem. Her brain couldn't control her muscles properly any more. Attempts to "train" her to pick up her feet was absolutely pointless for someone with dementia. She also tended to lean to one side creating an imbalance.

Her walking became increasingly difficult for her and our daily walks got shorter and shorter. After her first fall I always held her hand when walking. But even then she might fall due to not picking up her feet enough, and while holding her hand the best I could do was gently guide her down. Then I had to start holding her waist as we walked on our ever shorter walks.

Eventually her ability to walk required two people to guide her and the most she could make was measured in feet. Finally she could not walk anymore and became wheelchair bound.

She went from an actual 8 mile hike, to a wheelchair in just three years.

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 835
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
  • Razduck

Vitruvius, I’m so sorry to read that your DW has gone downhill so quickly💔. Six months ago my DW could still walk pretty well and didn’t need assistance. Now, her muscles have weakened and she has fallen in our home 6 times. The first time was about 3 weeks ago. She now has two fractures in her right ankle. Thankfully one is a hairline fracture and the other is a bit worse. In any case she’s in a removable cast for six weeks. After she heals up, we are likely going to try PT to see if she can build some muscle in her legs. Her biggest problem is muscle weakness. I sure hope that she heals quickly and can have some success in her PT. 🙏🏻❤️🙏🏻

• AnderK
    AnderK Member Posts: 123
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

My SO shuffles, and has a history of falls. PT has helped some, but he needs to do the exercises everyday, and he won't. He doesn't remember, and resents me trying to get him to, even though I tell him I will do them with him.

So, try PT, keep the exercise sheet on the kitchen counter, and hope for some progress. And don't ask if he wants to, just say that we are going to do the exercises. Sometimes that helps. Best of luck to you.

• Razduck

AndrerK, thank you for your help and your experiences with your SO. My DW has had PT in the past for some shoulder issues. She did balk at doing the the exercises, especially when I asked if she wanted to do them, it was always a No. My goal now is just trying to get her to wear her boot more. She obviously doesn’t recall that she has a fractured ankle. Once we get that healed up, PT will be the next big challenge. I’m going to remember your tips and hope for the best.

• Brokenhearted in Illinois
    Brokenhearted in Illinois Member Posts: 70
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes

Thanks for everyone’s input. Next question, should I buy a walker - there I’d one used for Parkinson’s patients that helps DH gait stay steady. The manager felt I should consider a portable wheelchair as DH is declining so fast.

thanks For all of your advice.

gratefully yours

nan

• Vitruvius
    Vitruvius Member Posts: 322
    100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

FYI, my DW was given a walker under Medicare. Unfortunately she was never able to master it while still somewhat able to stand. If you get a wheelchair, unless you expect your DH to move himself, the "transport" chairs may be best, this type has small wheels in the back as well as the front and is lighter. This works if you are always pushing him and he's not expected to move himself.

• Kibbee
    Kibbee Member Posts: 229
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

DH's difficulty with walking began a few years ago, and for quite a while he was OK using a cane. As his walking became less steady we tried a walker, but he never got the hang of it. With the walker he tended to lean forward from the waist, and we were concerned he might push the walker too far in front of him and end up face first on the ground. Because of that we went from the cane directly to a wheelchair. We first tried a transport chair (4 small wheels), which worked OK in the house on hardwood floors, but was difficult to push outside the house on concrete or uneven surfaces. Plus DH still wanted to have the ability to propel himself so the transport chair was a no go. Instead we got a regular wheelchair and have been using it ever since. Since I would have to fold and lift it into our vehicle, I got the smallest and lightest one I could for someone of DH's size.

• Brokenhearted in Illinois
    Brokenhearted in Illinois Member Posts: 70
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes

Thank you so much. We started with walking poles - he lost his balance and fell. I think I will move forward with a wheelchair.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more