Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Dementia diagnosis first post

2»

Comments

• justbreathe2
    justbreathe2 Member Posts: 103
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions

My DH next appointment is in February with the Neurologist. He was diagnosed with MCI last April and would not see us again until February. With the new changes to Medicare, I am hoping the Neurolgist will agree to a pet scan, but I am doubtful. The Neurologist has no empathy, and has done nothing for us. It is important to me that we get a diagnosis so we can plan his treatment and medication. Once he has a diagnosis I hope my PCP will recommend a geripsych...I am ready to be done with this Neurologist.

When we started this journey, we contacted Barnes Hospital for an appointment but were told it would 2-3 year wait and my DH would have to be a study. They also said Mayo Clinic had a long wait too.

I feel so helpless and fear for what may come with this disease.

• Paris20
    Paris20 Member Posts: 502
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions

My husband was diagnosed with MCI in 2015. The neurologist told me that 95% of cases like my husband’s wound up with dementia. He ran a few tests, mostly to rule out other causes but eventually, after a couple of years, it was overwhelmingly clear that DH had Alzheimer’s disease. He was put on various meds but I have no idea if any relieved anything. I suspect that one of his meds contributed to a stroke he had two years ago. It was a primary side effect but the neurologist convinced me to try it since DH was becoming violent. After his hospitalization I could no longer care for him at home. At 81, he can hardly put words together, he has no idea where he is, and he has forgotten my name although he knows I’m his wife. He still recognizes close family members but that will likely change soon. What I’m trying to say is that looking back, I’m glad I didn’t put DH through extensive testing. Yes, he had blood work and scans but that was it. Time certainly told me what we were dealing with.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more