Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Getting near the End

RickM
RickM Member Posts: 115
Seventh Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Likes

Visited Melissa today. Sat in her room with her, holding her hand. Surprisingly she put her other hand on top of mine. I put on Springsteen's "Tunnel of Love" album and we sat together.

Later the hospice nurse knocked on the door and joined us. Melissa's vitals are still good but she is eating less and some "other stuff" is changing. We've reached the point where the quality of life is waning for both of us. In fact, we had talked about this when she was still more "cognitive" and what we would want. She's eating less. Still drinks plenty of juice, but takes forever chewing her food. I don't want to push her to eat.

The hospice nurse validates what I already know: this is what happens. We talk about when we'll know when to start the "comfort medications".

Stage 7 is tough. How tough will stage 8 be?

Thanks to so many here that share their experiences on this journey.

Rick

Comments

• charley0419
    charley0419 Member Posts: 354
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

May I ask how long this journey has been?

• RickM

Longer than we want.

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Rick I’m so sorry! I loved when you said Melissa placed her hand on top of yours. Just today my dh’s doctor asked me if I was preparing myself for what comes next. My head was saying some but my heart was screaming no! Stage 7 is so hard. Prayers for you and Melissa!

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

(((RickM))) hugs from one Stage 7 spouse caregiver to another. Yes, tough is an understatement. We have several developments that are signaling the end is drawing closer for my DH as well. Trying to endure the unthinkable, while keeping him comfortable at least. I hope your weekend is as peaceful as possible.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,716
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Thinking about you. Crucial time together.

• Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Rick,

I’m so sorry; this is such a horrible time for both of you. I remember it well. Stage 8 has its pitfalls for sure, but in hindsight, DH’s eventual passing was relatively quick (3 1/2 days of Hospice care) and for that I am eternally grateful. Hoping and praying for strength for you and peace for your DW. 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

• Jgirl57
    Jgirl57 Member Posts: 468
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

RickM, Thank you for sharing your sweet moment with us. Hugs to you and your DW as stage 7 comes to an end.

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Rick, I’m sorry you have reached this point in the journey. I will keep both of you in my thoughts & prayers.

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 850
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

Rick, I will be holding you and Melissa close in prayer. I’m sorry this is so hard…for both of you.

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,674
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    edited December 2023

(((To All)))

• mrspgee
    mrspgee Member Posts: 8
    Third Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment

Spend all the time you possibly can with Melissa. Hold her hand and speak into her ear, tell her about the beautiful times in your life together. We are never really prepared for the life of a dear one to come to an end. It does and at Melissa's stage, it may be for the best. Prolonged pain, emotional and physical, will not avoid the inevitable. May you be at peace as you let go of her physical being. You know she is no longer in her body. Her mind has been robbed of her essence.

• Vitruvius
    Vitruvius Member Posts: 322
    100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Rick,

My DW is well into Stage 7 and on hospice. She has been having issues eating and drinking for over a year and has to be hand fed. She was chewing her food a great deal and feeding her would take 45-50 minutes. She was given a swallow test twice, each time the conclusion was that she had no physical problem swallowing, her brain just didn't know what to do. She was moved from regular food to "minced and moist", but this didn't help much, with all the chewing she would get tired and eat less it seemed. Finally she was moved to solely purée food. This really helped. She stopped trying to chew everything to death and will now just swallow the purée. Feeding now takes less time and she is taking in more food. Swallowing liquids however is still a problem as she will hold the liquid in her mouth for quite a long time, 15-20 minutes per sip if she is not cajoled into swallowing it. They think she has lost the sensation to swallow liquids. Thickeners didn't help, still not as thick as the puréed food which works. Still trying to find a solution for liquids.

So the point of this is to maybe try a different food consistency like purée (think baby food consistency).

Hope this is of some value.

• RickM

Thanks for sharing your experience with this Vitruvius.

And to all of you thank you for your kind thoughts

Rick

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living