Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Preparing To Tell Employer (first post)

My husband was diagnosed last December at age 55. His grandmother, aunt, and mother all had it, so he knew to keep an eye out for it. Because we were caregivers for his mom, we kinda know what we are heading into.

He is employed as a Construction Manager with a technology company of all things! While his manager is aware of his diagnosis, we can all agree that we need to get everything official with HR and let them start their process for ACA, Short/Long term Disability and eventual exit from the company. We already have DPOA and all Will type of documents in place.

What I am trying to do is get our ducks in a row. Or at least, as much as possible. Is there anything else I should have in place before informing the employer? We know that it could be a while before he is removed from his duties if they try to provide accommodations OR they might exit him right away due to the nature of his responsibilities.

Any ideas or guidance will be appreciated. I promise to be involved in helping others here. ❤️

Tagged:

Comments

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,398
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

@Crushed - I hope Crushed comes on here soon, although he’s not here as often as he used to be. I think he might have some ideas for you. I’d get the process started immediately so that he’s protected from immediate termination with cause due to a mistake.

• wizmo
    wizmo Member Posts: 96
    Fourth Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

I agree start the disability claim process now. Does the manager have some reason not to have done this on being informed already? Company policies may differ but legally you have rights to protect by acting timely. Hopefully you have some documentation of informing manager - emails, phone records. Sometimes disability can be complicated because early in the progression of the disease he may still have some ability to work - maybe not work this employer would accommodate, but be required to attempt finding other work until determined completely disabled. Most of the time you will pass because with dementia the person is unable to continue performing existing job and also unable to learn (competently) any new skill. If you have diagnosis, you can also start the process of applying for social security disability. For my DW we eventually got SSDI start date + medicare 2 year waiting period set to date of first neurologist appointment, which was 18 months prior to final approval (having gone through appeals by attorney).

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Try to coordinate short term disability with long term disability. Is there a private LTD plan? Ask about Compassionate Allowance, which fast-tracks his application for SSDI.

Iris

• Lgb35
    Lgb35 Member Posts: 93
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary

I am envious you have those benefits through work. My DH is 60 and works as a sales man for a building supply company. They have ZERO benefits. No paid sick leave. No short or long term disability. He gets paid in a commission only. I don’t think they will try to accommodate him in any way. Our only option will be SSDI. Our attorney told me there is a compassionate care clause that allows certain conditions which includes dementia. They told us the fastest the process could go if it is flawless (which is not likely) would be 5 months. It’s just one more layer of stress when dealing with young onset.

• Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,442
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions

Hello

1) IMHO any mental impairment for a construction manager will be addressed immediately. The risk are simply to great.

make sure you know how his disability insurance works and interacts with social security.

What was the diagnosis , it make a huge difference YOu must must must see a SS disabilikty lawwyer yesterday

• Mimi50
    Mimi50 Member Posts: 139
    100 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

My husband had already been approved for SSDI. Before he was diagnosed he has COPD. Along with the dementia. Right now he is stage 1. His COPD is really acting up now. He sees the doctor next week. So they can check oxygen levels. Then there is me I will be 51 in couple of weeks. I went to get new glasses. I was having pain behind my eyes. Some slight change in my vision. So they want me to see. Ophthalmologist. They think I might have glaucoma. My husband and I need me to be able to drive. Of course I didn’t tell our 26 year old son yet. His Dad was diagnosed vascular dementia A year ago. Now I am going to cause him to worry.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more