Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Holiday Pot Luck

ImMaggieMae
ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,010
250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

How about a holiday pot luck for our forum members? We may not have a lot of time for fussy complicated recipes and we need things that are easy for our loved ones to eat. I don’t know about all of you, but I seem to be at a loss for different things to prepare day after day that don’t take too long to prepare. I could sure use some new ideas. I’ll start with a recipe for Shepherds Pie that I made last night. Can you believe that in 70-some years I’ve never eaten Sheperd’s Pie? It was delicious! The ultimate comfort food. And we sure do need comfort around here. I substituted ground turkey for beef or lamb and used instant mashed potatoes. My DH had a big helping and seconds. Extra points for leftovers!

https://www.kulickspierecipes.com/shepherds-pie-recipe/

Comments

• LindaLouise
    LindaLouise Member Posts: 95
    100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes 10 Comments

Thanks for sharing this recipe! I just turned 68 and have never made one, though I did have a taste at an Irish festival in Fort Lauderdale, many years ago. My DH remembers one that his Irish mother made years ago, so I'm hoping this will bring back some warm memories for him!

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 850
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

What a wonderful idea! It’s so hard to figure out what to fix day after day. I could really use some easy recipes. I’ll put my thinking cap on and try to post one later.

• JDancer
    JDancer Member Posts: 453
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Goat cheese, fig jam and freshly ground black pepper make a quick but elegant spread.

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 850
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

Crustless, ham pie

8 ounces shredded mozzarella

3 ounces diced ham

five eggs

3/4 cup milk

1/4 teaspoon each of salt, basil, onion powder

A little sprinkling of black pepper

sprinkle cheese and ham in a greased 8 x 8 baking dish. Mix rest of ingredients and pour into dish. Bake in a preheated 375° oven until knife inserted in center comes out clean. 30 to 45 minutes.

• WIGO23
    WIGO23 Member Posts: 103
    100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions 10 Comments

Cornbread Surprise

• 1 stick melted Butter
    • 1 15oz can Creamed corn
    • 1 15 oz can Whole canned corn
    • 1/2-cup Sour cream (optional)
    • 1 box Jiffy Cornbread Mix (do not prepare as directed)

Mix all ingredients well. Place in greased 8x8 glass baking dish. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees until middle is solid and top is golden. (Most ovens 45 minutes baking time)

I like to check it at 30 minutes and rotate for even browning.

• Bluebird
    Bluebird Member Posts: 44
    25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions

I love this thread. This is my favorite recipe. My husband(Alzheimer’s) can help with this. I tell him what to do and he can easily help. It’s hard to mess this up and it tastes great.

Taquito Casserole

Ingredients

Frozen taquitos

Salsa

Shredded cheese

Sour cream

Directions

Spread some salsa over bottom of casserole dish. Lay frozen taquitos on top of salsa. (Use as many as your family will eat.) Sprinkle any Mexican type toppings over top of taquitos, such as black beans, corn, black olives, peppers. Cover taquitos and toppings with more salsa. Bake 375 degrees for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with shredded cheese (I use about 1/2 cup). Bake an additional 10 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Serve with sour cream.

• Bluebird

The attached thread was posted awhile back and has great recipes. I’ve tried most of them and they all were very tasty.

• ImMaggieMae
    edited December 2023

Mixed green salad with diced pears

This one is so easy when you have lots of green salad mix that needs to be used up. It only needs a few ingredients and is a nice change to the typical Italian type salads we usually have.

A bunch of mixed salad greens

Medium to large diced fresh pear

A couple Tbs olive oil

Lemon juice from a bottle or from fresh lemons

A sprinkle of balsamic vinegar

Ground cardamon powder to taste (a typical spice bottle will usually last me over a year and it gives the salad a unique flavor).

salt and pepper to taste

• ImMaggieMae

Chicken Picacta Casserole

This was an easy to eat chicken piccata for DH because the chicken was cut up. I substituted lemon juice for the white wine because I like more lemon flavor. I used regular orzo instead of whole wheat orzo because that’s what I had on hand. It looked so pretty!

https://www.eatingwell.com/chicken-piccata-casserole-8364414

• Bluebird

Individual Roasted Vegetable Strudel

Over Christmas I had vegetarian and vegan guests. This was delicious, even for non-vegetarians.

Pepperidge Farm puff pastry - their puff pastry is actually vegan Thaw one sheet in refrigerator overnight.

Assorted vegetables cut into strips.

Shredded cheese

Spread vegetables on sheet pan. Drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt & pepper.

Roast vegetables at 375 degrees for 45 minutes. I do this early in the day & then refrigerate until needed.

Cut pastry into 4 pieces

Place about 2 tbs. shredded cheese (regular or vegan) down center of pastry. Going from one corner to the opposite corner. Place about 3 tbs. roasted vegetables on top of cheese. Fold the two corners that do not have vegetables/cheese to center and pinch to close.

Bake 400 for 20 minutes.

Makes 4 strudels.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living