Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Retrogenesis

I found this article and thought it to be very interesting. It's pretty long but I thought some of you would enjoy the read.

https://psyche.co/ideas/the-radical-impact-of-seeing-alzheimers-as-a-second-childhood

Comments

• RickM
    RickM Member Posts: 115
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Likes

Thank you. I did find the article interesting. Of course, the saying goes: "if you've met one person with Alzheimer's, well, you've met one person with Alzheimer's". The inflicted travel many different journeys and so do we as caregivers. All of these journeys are difficult, heartbreaking, and; well, they suck.

I'm on my third journey--both parents and, now, my spouse. The retro genesis idea somewhat corresponds with what I have experienced with my wife (70). Now in stage 7 and in hospice, she never rejected her diagnosis and has never exhibited any anxiety or difficult behaviors during her journey which has lasted (at least) 5 years. Besides being grateful, I am amazed and filled with wonder. How? Why?

Is she content? No longer seeking contentment? Is there a difference?

Is she "telling" me to let go, accept live as it is, live in the moment, stop struggling-- that this is just part of life?

The end...just like the beginning?

I don't know, but it's making me evaluate how I'll approach what is left in my life.

• Cherjer
    Cherjer Member Posts: 227
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes

Thank. you so much! A very interesting article and words to ponder.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,359
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

I find the concept interesting.

On one level this neatly explains my dad's end-stage personality shift. He'd likely lived with mental illness most of his life (his ger psych agrees). His doting old aunties always talked about what a sweet child he'd been until he started school-- their descriptions were nothing around which I could wrap my mind as we'd always had a very difficult relationship. In the last month or two before he died I saw a version of him I'd never witnessed before- warm, sweet and grateful.

He also time-traveled and would get stuck discussing people, things and events from happier times in his life. The eras in which he was stuck were more those of his 20s or 50s and did not corelate to his current age equivalency in terms of child development. Dad was also quite conversational until he died; we had lunch and talked about my sister's visit hours before he died. She passed 25 years earlier, so I was spooked by this story.

This probably feels familiar to adult child caregivers who undergo a role-reversal in assuming more oversight for their parent. It sneaks up on you, but at some point, you realize you're doing for them what they once did for you.

I know some people find this idea to be infantilizing to PWD who are, after all, adults.

HB

• gampiano
    gampiano Member Posts: 329
    Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Fascinating article, many truisms here. I can see many parallels with my DH, and the progression of his illness. Of course, no one theory or philosophy will have all the answers, but there is valuable insight here. Thank you for sharing,

Maureen

• Anna2022
    Anna2022 Member Posts: 165
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

Thank you for posting this link to this article. I particularly liked the last paragraph...it helped me re-set my own attitude after a couple of trying days. Thank you.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more