Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Blood pressure and Alzheimers

LJCHR
LJCHR Member Posts: 193
100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

My DH has been on blood pressure meds for years. Same dose consistent. We noticed about 6 months ago his blood pressure was 90 something over 50 something. Several trips to the doctors office measured about the same low each time. Doctor took him down to half dose, which he’s been on over the last 6 months. Todays blood pressure at check up was 114/63. She took him off meds as of today.

Has anyone else experienced this and does it have anything to do with Alzheimer’s? He was diagnosed with MCI in Aug 2021 and I would guess that he’s mid stage 4

Comments

• JDancer
    JDancer Member Posts: 453
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Any other changes that could effect blood pressure? Weight loss? Dietary changes?

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,010
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

Is he on any other medications that might lower his blood pressure?

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,359
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

We saw this with my dad. The newly lower blood pressure led to dizziness and being unsteady on his feet. He had lost about 20lbs at that point, but historically yoyo-ed within that range without BP issues in the past without it impacting BP readings. In the later stages as his weight loss became more dramatic his BP continued to improve until we were able to stop medicating for HBP.

HB

• Pat6177
    Pat6177 Member Posts: 442
    100 Likes Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions

My DH was on lisinopril for years. Till he started having some readings in the 90s over 50s range. Dropped to half dose and then stopped. But it was a couple of years before he was diagnosed. Wish I could remember the timeline better. But I have often wondered about whether there was a connection.

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,010
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

I take BP medication and have for years. Every so often I go through a period where my BP is low and I feel light headed, especially when I stand up quickly. Sometimes just drinking a couple glasses of water helps, or adding a little more salt to my food. My DH was a runner just before dementia and has naturally low BP, but if he isn’t drinking enough water, his can go lower than normal too.

In my experience, losing a substantial amount of weight can lower BP. Also, everyone needs a certain amount of salt in their diet. That can make a difference. Checking BP at home only takes a few minutes.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more