Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Changes in PET Scan Eligibility - New Policy as of October 2023

My DH is in process of being approved for a PET scan to determine if he as FTD. Our neurologist said a change in the policy will now allow most people to be eligible for a PET scan. Here is a summary from the article and a link for more detailed information. This is new, so if you've looked into PET scans in the past, this is different from what you would have been told. Below is the summary and below that a link to the full article.

CHICAGO, Oct. 13, 2023 — A valuable Alzheimer’s disease diagnostic tool will now be more accessible across the country thanks to a policy change today by the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS). The Alzheimer’s Association applauds CMS for taking action to expand coverage of brain amyloid positron emission tomography (PET) imaging for the diagnosis of Alzheimer’s disease. In issuing its new policy, CMS said the specific details of the coverage will be made by the Medicare Administrative Contractors (MACs). The Alzheimer’s Association urges the MACs to quickly implement broad and equitable coverage for all Medicare beneficiaries.

https://www.alz.org/news/2023/medicare-covers-pet-imaging-alzheimers-diagnosis#:~:text=Alzheimer's%20Association%20Applauds%20CMS%20Decision%20to%20Cover%20PET%20Imaging%20for%20Alzheimer's%20Disease%20Diagnosis&text=CHICAGO%2C%20Oct.,%26%20Medicaid%20Services%20(CMS).

Comments

• Anna2022
    Anna2022 Member Posts: 165
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

This is happening!

Just recently, our Medicare Advantage Plan has authorized coverage for a PETScan for my DH.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

LindaLouise, thanks for posting. I had to join a clinical trial in order to get my own Amyvid PET scan a few years ago. Now, it will be easier for patients to obtain.

Iris

• justbreathe2
    justbreathe2 Member Posts: 104
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Thank you for sharing.

My DH and I wanted to have a PET scan a year ago, and his Neurologist would not even discuss with us. He was diagnosed with MCI. We had to wait a year now to see him again on February 1st. I will bring this up with the Neurologist.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more