Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

New set of symptoms

ghphotog
ghphotog Member Posts: 667
500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

My wife just finished treatment for a UTI and I've had another urine sample sent to the lab to make sure it's all clear but haven't heard back yet.

Anyway, The last couple of months my DW has really been talking in her sleep, having seemingly normal conversations with her mother sometimes, my name comes up, and just random phrases.

However, last night she not only talked in her sleep but began to poke, prod, pinch and hit me in her sleep. That lasted what seemed most of the night. She has no idea she is doing that.

Has anyone else seen this behavior?

Comments

• terei
    terei Member Posts: 570
    Seventh Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

My mother did this for about 8 months. Talking +acting out while sleeping

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,010
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

ghphotog, my DH gets UTI’s from time to time. The symptoms like more confusion seem to last at least a week after the antibiotics are finished and often after a test shows it’s gone. Maybe the talking in her sleep is related to that and will go away. We use these test strips to test at home before going to the doctor. https://www.amazon.com/AZO-Infection-Accurate-Clinically-Self-Testing/dp/B00854L57U/ref=sr_1_2_pp?keywords=azo+test+strips&qid=1703234435&sr=8-2

They only take 2 minutes to see a result and so far have been accurate when compared to the doctor’s tests.

With the last UTI he had a lot of difficulty with walking and balance. I thought it was progression but a lot of it went away after a week or so.

• gampiano
    gampiano Member Posts: 329
    Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

My husband did all of the above, and when i moved onto the couch and he slept in a separate bed, he continued the sleep talk, and pinched and hit himself. It was very disturbing to witness this night after night . Ironically, his speech while in a sleep state was pretty clear, and while he was awake he couldn't articulate.

Its a long and difficult ordeal. I couldn't have survived without that couch.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,716
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Ghphotog, I would suggest mentioning this to her docs. It's a known sleep disturbance and again, might respond to a change in medications.....

• ghphotog
    ghphotog Member Posts: 667
    500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the comments. I didn't know about the UTI test strips. I'll check my pharmacy and see if they have those.

I did let the Neuro know about all of it but haven't heard back yet. Probably have to set and appointment for weeks or months out.

I might have to move onto the couch or upstairs but I need to be able to hear her if she gets up in the middle of the night to use the restroom because she needs help with that but many times won't let me help her anyway until the morning. Today. . . What a morning!

H

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney