Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

To the new members

How are you all doing? The holidays and the end of the year are here again. I hope everyone is spending time as they wish. I enjoy my own company, and relish quiet time. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all!

Iris

Comments

• AlzWontDefineMe
    AlzWontDefineMe Member Posts: 4
    First Comment

I'm grateful to have this forum. It has been difficult to find resources and support for Younger onset since it is rare. I was diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer's in September after nearly two years of worrying about my memory and then losing my job. I usually write a holiday letter this time of year highlighting key milestones. This year, I was conflicted about sending a letter and what to say. Then I realized that I want people to know what's going on with me. I shared the diagnosis and I also encouraged people to write or call me, and I welcomed their questions if they would like to know how I'm doing. I also shared that having the diagnosis has helped me get some help (cognitive therapy, speech therapy, local organizations, this forum, etc.) I was surprised how many people wrote back with such kind words of support. I'll be celebrating the holidays with my local and extended family and am looking forward to seeing them. Best wishes to all of you.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

How wonderful! I'm glad people have responded positively.

Iris

• Janutt
    Janutt Member Posts: 130
    100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions First Anniversary 5 Care Reactions

Hope you all had a wonderful Christmas and a very happy New Year’s! That is wonderful to hear that you had a great response from your family and friends with your diagnosis.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more