Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Just popping in

Ed1937
Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Hello friends. I just wanted to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. I hope you can all find something to bring you a little joy, even though I know it's a hard, hard life.

I haven't been on the site for a while, and I just read several threads. Much to my surprise, I found out that M1 and Jo seem to be battling some serious medical problems. I'm so sorry to hear that. It seems as though I've known them for some time, and I'll say a prayer or two for them. I'm sure others have had some crosses to bear that were more than normal progression too, but I didn't read about it. I feel so bad for all of you who are still in the trenches. I hope you can find a little peace through the holidays.

Let's all hope that 2024 is a much better year than what 2023 had to offer.

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,716
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Blessings to you and your family Ed, so glad to hear from you.....

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Thanks for stopping by, Ed. I hope you are healing. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Iris

• Pat6177
    Pat6177 Member Posts: 442
    100 Likes Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions

So good to hear from you. I was just thinking of you yesterday and wondering how you and your family are doing. Merry Christmas to you and all of yours!

• Elshack
    Elshack Member Posts: 238
    Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Good to hear from you, Ed. My DH passed away on Nov 24 after 7 and 1/2 yrs since diagnosis and 15 mo in Memory Care so I am dealing with stage 8 with an odd combination of relief and extreme sadness.

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Merry Christmas Ed. I think of you often and hope all is well.

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 835
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Ed, It is so good to hear from you. I hope you are finding peace these days. Have a wonderful Christmas and stay well.

• Emily 123
    Emily 123 Member Posts: 747
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Care Reactions

Merry Christmas and a very happy New Year. So nice to see your post :)

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 850
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

Merry Christmas, Ed. It's so good to hear from you! I think of you often.

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,404
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

Merry Christmas Ed. We all hope you are finding life easier these days -and that the continued break is helping.

• Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Merry Christmas, Ed. I hope each new day brings you a measure of peace. It’s so nice of you to stop by with good wishes- - always thinking of others! Heaps of New Year’s blessings to you.

• mrahope
    mrahope Member Posts: 528
    Fourth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Best to you and your family for a peaceful Christmas and a brighter New Year.

• ​fesk
    ​fesk Member Posts: 440
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

Merry Christmas and a wonderful new year to Ed and all!

• gampiano
    gampiano Member Posts: 329
    Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Dear Ed,

Merry Christmas to you and your family! I have good memories of your caring and helpful messages.

• Ed1937

Elshack, I'm so sorry. I hope you can somehow find peace throughout the season.

• Ed1937

I think the time away has been good for me. In September I had to have my dog euthanized. I had a birthday a few days ago, and my kids bought me a 9 week old German Shepherd puppy. She's a beauty.

I really am torn between coming back and staying away. A part of me wants to keep in touch, while another part tells me it's not in my best interest. We'll see. Just try to make the most of each day, and try to focus more on your own health.

• Caro_Lynne
    Caro_Lynne Member Posts: 346
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions First Anniversary

So nice to hear from you Ed and congratulations on your new furbaby! German shepherd puppies are so adorable; I hope you can post a picture of your new addition. I don't know what I would do without my little 4+ lb. chihuahua - she is one of a kind, I take her everywhere, she doesn't bark and is just happy to be with me. She rescued me 12 years ago when she was about two years old and I have never been anywhere without her.

As far as coming back, do what feels right for you. You and M1 were the first ones to respond to my initial post and that meant so much to me! Me, being such an introvert and insecure, was so hesitant to post and your response made me feel welcome straight away.

Wishing you a Merry Christmas and New Year full of happiness and love! xo

• Elshack
    Elshack Member Posts: 238
    Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

I love the news that you got a little German Shepherd puppy. Thank you for your condolences on the passing of my DH. I know exactly what you mean re: whether it is a good idea to come here or not. In a way I want to hear how other caretakers are doing and to offer encouragement but on the other hand I am very weary of this AD journey and the reminder of all the sorrows along the way.

Thanks for your support and I wish you much peace too, Ed.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,716
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Ed I second the motion for a picture of your new girl....happy birthday!

• GothicGremlin
    GothicGremlin Member Posts: 839
    Fifth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

Happy belated birthday, @Ed1937 ! I'm sorry to hear about your elder dog, but happy to hear about the new puppy.

Happy holidays to you!

I'm glad you're taking time for yourself. Selfishly, it'd be great if you visited more often, I've often benefited from your wisdom, and your dad jokes are fun too (I say with affection). Only you will know whether spending time here is good for you though. And it may be that moving on from here is what's best for you as you move into this new phase of your life.

🎄⛄️❄️🎁

• Nowhere
    Nowhere Member Posts: 272
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments

Merry Christmas, Ed. I’ve stepped away, too, although still in the trench, but I do understand. There is so much more to life than Alzheimer’s, but when it touches or worse, takes your loved one, it takes a piece of you, too. May your German Shepherd puppy bring you much joy and love.

• Jeanne C.
    Jeanne C. Member Posts: 805
    500 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Merry Christmas, Ed! Congratulations on the puppy. Continue to take good care of yourself.

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

So very nice to see your post! Glad you are doing well and I agree with others about the picture of your new little girl! Bet she gives you the best puppy kisses! Happy belated birthday! Merry Christmas to you and your family! Hope they are all doing well. Take care of yourself and keep healing!

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,010
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

Ed, it’s so good to see your post. I’m so sorry to hear about the loss of your beloved dog. It’s so hard to lose a pet. But congrats on your new family member. She will probably keep you very busy! I hope we’ll be seeing some pictures of her.

• michiganpat
    michiganpat Member Posts: 140
    100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions Second Anniversary

Merry Christmas Ed and may you have a blessed and peaceful New Year. I miss your posts and insights but you need to do what is best for you. Congratulations on the new puppy. She will keep you very busy for sure!

• Ed1937
  • Ed1937
    edited December 2023

As always, thank you for the kind remarks. My new baby is probably 85 - 90% black, but that can't be seen on the pics. Next pics are the parents.

• Ed1937
  • Ed1937
  • JoseyWales
    JoseyWales Member Posts: 602
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Merry Christmas, Ed!

I have also stepped back from this forum some. I rarely post anymore, but stop by a couple of times a week to see updates from people. I think the space is helping me. It sound like it's helping you, too.

I just love your puppy and you seem so happy with her (or him!). I got a new puppy last May. She's helped me tremendously. As I type, she's laying across my feet.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more