Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

EARLIEST symptoms

Hello all. Merry Christmas! I am new here. I have not been diagnosed, but have had troubles with memory for over 7 years. I would say 10 years ago I stopped sleeping, lost motivation, started feeling less confident about my work and slowly began losing things, forgetting names (to a vast extent), etc. Does any of this sound familiar to you?

Comments

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Welcome, Body. I'm sorry you are having these feelings. Have you discussed with a doctor? Frankly, what you describe sounds like major depression. But that is for a doctor to diagnose. There are nutritional and hormonal deficits that can cause these same symptoms. You need some blood tests. The diagnosis of sleep apnea requires an overnight sleep study in a sleep lab. These conditions, including major depression, are treatable if caught in time. I have memory problems due to medical conditions, for which I am receiving treatments. Don't delay seeking treatment. Do you have a primary doctor? Please keep us updated.

Iris

• Questonian
    Questonian Member Posts: 5
    First Comment

Hi Body, I’m reasonably new here myself. It definitely helps to get that diagnosis and stops all the guessing and wondering.

i was only diagnosed on August with Early onset Alzheimers and it still seems weird to even acknowledge that but I do and make lite of my situation and mishaps. On bad days, I warn my family that I’m “not playing with a full deck of cards” so they know I may be having problems understanding things.

One step at a time, you have support here, start the process, the earlier the better they will be able to try and help slow the disease down

• Janutt
    Janutt Member Posts: 130
    100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions First Anniversary 5 Care Reactions

I’m sorry for your diagnosis. I agree to accept now and instead of fighting it because it does you know good. Baby steps is the best way to go.

• FAHNJL
    FAHNJL Member Posts: 35
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions

Many things can mimic dementia. See a doctor, describe your symptoms, and get tested for these things.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more