Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Bad start to Christmas

My day started out with uncontrollable crying as I couldn't get it out of my mind that this may be his last Christmas. No matter what I did, my mind fixated on it. My family was coming over for our usual dinner and festivities. I feared I wouldn't be able to keep it together or get through the day. I texted my family members and told them this was happening to me and ask for their understanding and help if during the course of the day I retreated for some private time. They were wonderful. They helped me get through the day.

I wished I knew how to break the cycle of focusing on all of the bad and spiraling out of control. Anyone have this experience or know what one can do? I am so afraid that this is going to continue. My doctor just approved an increase in my antidepressant, so I am hoping that helps.

Comments

• darcytg
    darcytg Member Posts: 94
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

So grateful you had the support of your people.

I am having similar experiences daily. I find a quiet spot lean into the grief for a few minutes, then put on one of my LO'S favorite songs. Her singing always lifts my spirits and it grounds me in the moment to cherish who she is in this moment.

If my LO'S also lost in the grief or having a rough go, I read and reread the Alzheimers poem posted on these boards in a coulpe places.

So sorry I can't link it to you. Not tech savvy.

Can someone who knows what I'm talking about please share it here? It makes me cry even harder for a few minutes.

Then, I put the smile on as best I can and hold her hand.

Hugs

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,010
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

Here you go, darcytg:

AN ALZHEIMER'S POEM

Do not ask me to remember.

Don't try to make me understand.

Let me rest and know you're with me.

Kiss my cheek and hold my hand.

I'm confused beyond your concept.

I am sad and sick and lost.

All I know is that I need you To be with me at all cost.

Do not lose your patience with me.

Do not scold or curse or cry.

1 can't help the way l'm acting, Can't be different 'though I try.

Just remember that I need you,

That the best of me is gone.

Please don't fail to stand beside me,

Love me 'till my life is done.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia