Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Hi and Happy Christmas to you all

Well it is almost a month since the passing of my husband. My grief is palpable but I am so happy he is free from this awful disease.

My husband had to have his food puréed and he did enjoy eating a lot, however his dementia got so that he did not even recognize what he was given as food. I realized at that point he was going soon. I told him during our last visit that it was ok to go, I would be ok. He died the next morning.

I have friends and family who have been fantastic but I realize that I have to walk alone. There are gut wrenching moments but also joyous moments too, grief rarely travels in a straight line.

I have been thinking of you all and hoping you were all ok. I hope you all have a better year ahead and all of you who were so supportive to me, I thank you all.

Comments

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 850
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

Dear Buggs, my heart goes out to you in your grief. While I haven’t experienced the physical loss of my husband yet, I can well understand the up-and-down road you’re traveling. I’m so glad you have family and friends to support you. You were an amazing caregiver and I always appreciated your comments. Please take good care of you now. Sending big hugs.

Brenda

• mrahope
    mrahope Member Posts: 528
    Fourth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Thinking of you as you travel a part of this road I have yet to reach. May 2024 be a more peaceful year for you and all of us.

• LilySue
    LilySue Member Posts: 37
    Eighth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

It's said that time heals. You're very new in this lonely world without your husband, so I hope the holidays will be better next year. Even though my DH passed away eleven months ago, this was also my first Christmas without him. But, as with most caregivers here, it's been a long time since we enjoyed a meaningful relationship, and many Christmases have passed without him having any realization of the holidays. Still, I can burst into tears at very unexpected moments as when I was driving recently, and for the first time this season turned on a Christmas radio station. Most songs I can get through with no emotion at all, but when I heard Bing Crosby sing "I'll be home for Christmas" it was too much for me. Perhaps someday I'll be able to get through that particular piece but now it's way too soon! I hope these first raw days will pass quickly, and you can return to some semblance of normalcy.

• darcytg
    darcytg Member Posts: 94
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Buggsroo,

My heart goes out to you.

What a graceful exit after you telling him he could go. Take good care of you.

Love and light

• Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 682
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary

Buggs, big hugs to you...may you find joy again in being alive and living! Cherish this life you have 🤗❤️

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more